Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is this?

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131945

Looks like a 50's kit boat?
It followed me home.
Just had to have it!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stay calm. Move on.

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131946

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Looks in great shape and pictures make it appear well built. Considering all of that and the cool factor, no wonder you had to get it! Pretty awesome. Reminds me of seeing boat plans in my Grandpas 1950's magazines like Popular Mechanics, etc. nice score.

Dr.Go!

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131947

OMG,...My interest in personal boating began with a Popular Science & Mechanics's article of how to build an 8 ft boat out of (2) sheets of plywood, and some Spruce. I 'think' It said something like "8 dollars and 8 hours" to complete the boat (pumpkin seed) in (8) hours.
Too funny,...But my dad seriously pulled the rabbit out of the hat.
I ran a KH-7, then a Mark 30,, then a 58A on the little 'pumpkin seed'.
The Mk30 was the perfect
match, and I wish I could post some 8mm movie clips of the set-up,...But sadly,...That was a few relationships back, and no longer available to the ole doctor.
Ya reap what you sow,...SIGH.
doc
Attachments:

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131949

Excellent!!!!!!!! Great find and Dr your right that could use a nice Mark 30 on it!

Bob

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131958

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
One great little boat! Classy! Doc, didn't tell ya but sold my restored 8' Minimost last fall to a kid. Him and dad were going to build one and sold it to him less than I had in it, but we got us a new up and coming boater for life!

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131968

The transom looks familiar. I think it might be a Doodle Bug. Here's the linkHere's the link .

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3
[Building] 10' Glen-L Squirt

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131969

Yeah that looks right. Thats what the guy I got it from thought it was as well. I guess the fins had been an add on by whoever built it?
My son and I hung a few different motors on it last night (Mark 20/Mark25/A Mac 25/Mac 40/Wizard WA25/Johnson PO15)
The Wizard looked the most correct. The Macs the least correct with the fiberglass hoods and all.
Yeah I am thinking the WA25 although a Mark 30 would look great too (heck same motor). The Wizard has a bit of a Deco look to it the way the faceplate is styled, seems to work with the lines of the craft.
An Rd19 would work but I believe it would look out of proportion on the transom.
I guess I should have put this in the wood boats forum. Oops.

Stay calm. Move on.

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131970

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
It is a pretty cool looking boat. The windshield supports are Chris Craft. The plywood hull looks sturdy enough but it is kind of ugly...bad grain. If you plan to refinish, you might consider painting the hull and fins white and leave the topsides and transom as they are....just an idea.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131990

Food for thought. For now it will be stored. It is 7th in line as things stand. Plenty of time to make those decisions. I like the idea of playing up the hull shape and fins by painting the sides. I Always welcome other people's ideas and advice. Projects always seem to end up better with the added experience of our members. It needed much more sanding before any finish was applied anyway. Any ideas when these boat plans or kits were originally sold? Its got some age to it.

Stay calm. Move on.

What is this? 7 years 4 months ago #131995

Plans for the Doodle Bug were originally from Science and Mechanics magazine. You can download jpg's of the original article here: www.svensons.com/boat/

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online