Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Club Mariner Identification

Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 3 months ago #129509

I recently picked up an unrestored Glasspar Club Mariner, one of the best looking cutty cabins ever made. This one is mostly original and needs the typical restoration like floor boards, cosmetics, etc. The steering has been "upgraded" to a tacky looking plastic steering wheel and single cable linkage. I need help identifying the year- the serial number doesn't seem to match what I've read and the title lists it as a 1968, probably ten years too young. There is a plaque in the center of the forward cabin dash that is stamped, "19 A0012" and although it looks authentic, I doubt it was placed there by the factory. Can anyone shed some light on this tag and what year the boat was made. Also, if the number is correct, does it mean it was the 12th Club Mariner made during this year?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 3 months ago #129511

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think the most likely decode of the serial number is this: The "19" is the length in feet, the "A" is for Santa Ana CA plant, "0" is for 1960 and "012" is the 12th hull produced that year.

Note: there is no model ID because when this boat was put into production in 1957, there was no other 19 footer in the Glasspar lineup.

Jerry

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 3 months ago #129515

Thank you Jerry!
That sounds logical to me. Is this ID plate typical? Were serial numbers stamped somewhere else?
Dan

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 3 months ago #129521

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Dan,
The form and location of ID plates varies a lot particularly in the 50s and early 60s. What you have is very ornate. I have seen one like that before on ebay. I think yours is very likely original. My '60 Seafair didn't have an ID plate when I got it, but it has a lot of other custom designed cast fittings. My '56 Avalon has the serial number cast into the port side stern handle/tie down ring. Like your Mariner, my early Avalon has no model ID letter because at the time, there was only one 16 footer. Later serial tags had a model letter added because Glasspar produced a bunch of 16 foot versions.

Jerry

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 3 months ago #129522

Hello Dan,

Nice boat!

That appears to be the original data plate and indicates she is a 1960 model as Jerry explained and that was the only number provided by the factory.

Notice plate below mirror on another 60 Mariner.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 3 months ago #129544

For what it is worth, it seems absolutely correct as, mentioned earlier, there was no other 19' in the '60 line up.

As I recall, 2 ways to tell it is a '60. The hull doesn't have the flattened part, and the helm doesn't have the little window going into the cabin at the helm.

With my '58 I never did find a number. I got a plate like that from a Phaeton, but I've been all over the boat and couldn't find anything. I found an old posting on one sight whee they said they found numbers stamped inside on some of the wood trim, but I could never find out where they found it.

Congrats on the purchase. Mine is still waiting to be finished...probably when I retire!

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 2 months ago #129581

Thanks Folks!
For all the information and comments. I'm looking forward to restoring it someday and I appreciate this forum and the nice people who have so much to offer...

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 2 months ago #129677

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
WIZARD, CONGRATS, rare find there in good cond. There are only a few that are restored.. Had a few Glaspars and you got correct info above.. Sometimes on a first year model build or new plant startup there had been discoveries of other hull locations, or tags. Will try & attach a pic below of the day I found the larger Round washer UNDER the rear splashwell for my 1959 G-3 speedster STAMPED for the Id #
PRICELESS, FIND of the hidden factory serial # documenting a FIRST year G-3 build in 1959 ,at Nashville , TN. Not in cockpit armrest , nor under Center Deck , BUT Two inch DISC, on PORT Ski Hook / Bolt, Under SplashWell 13 X N. _9 _ _ _.....52 years later.!!!..N for Nashville ,,Tenn plant

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 2 months ago #129688

Hey Larry,

Don’t recall seeing that before although some models had a number stamped on the stern handle. This was on a late fifties Lido but the numbers don’t jibe with the code chart.

Your numbers are good although why they would hide them inside like that is a mystery.

Gotta ask what is the purpose of that jar of shine. I suppose it could be a good solvent or are you just celebrating your priceless find.

My 59 Sedan also came out of Nashville but had the fancy ID plate prominently mounted on the bulkhead.
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 2 months ago #129725

Just checked my ID plate: 19A 0016
It is registered as a 1960. Has a Volvo 4 cyl I/O power plant. Was never able to determine if it was changed by a previous owner. Eddie Grijalva, a former Glasspar employee during that era was unable to enlighten me when Glasspar started installing I/O. It appears to be a professional job, but who knows?

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 2 months ago #129758

I would love to see some photos of the inboard/outdrive installation! Were outdrives available in 1960?

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 2 months ago #129766

Hello Wizard,

From what I have learned Glasspar first offered the Volvo Penta AQ80 I/O option in 1962. I have seen earlier I/O Glasspars but not sure if they were delivered from the factory as such. They could have been standard outboard models retrofitted by the dealer or owner.

59 Sedan with AQ 80 which was introduced to the US market by Volvo Penta in 1959.

Glasspar may have been doing special builds or just testing the new technology prior to 62.

This I/O Sedan photo above is in the FG library for 1961 Glasspar info although there is no mention of it being available on the 61 pricelist.

This is a 60 Seafair Phaeton with a VP 110 HP which was new for 1963. I believe this was an I/O retrofit and appropriately named ‘Pluggin’. I'm thinking an I/O "plugged in"? VP 110 HP

Another 59 Sedan with AQ 65 and appears to be a DIY retrofit.
AQ 65

See this link of members 62 Glasspar with what again looks like it was retrofitted with a VP 110.
Note the Mercury RideGuide wheel.
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/main-forum/help-identify-this-60-s-glasspar-please

Oldmariner,

I have always been curious about your Mariner and what appears to be a finished wood transom.
The s/n number tells us it’s a 1960 and I believe the “A” indicates the Santa Anna plant. I’m interested to know the vintage of the motor and drive.
See:
www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/out_of_production_engines/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 7 years 1 month ago #130192

Terry;
Thanks for posting those great photos and ads! I'd like to convert mine to an I/O someday.

Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 3 years 8 months ago #142906

Hi I just purchased a 1960 Club Mariner
Attachments:

Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 3 years 8 months ago #142918

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome. It would be best if you started a new discussion string. You can either do it on the main forum which just about covers everything from soup to nuts or there is a separate Glaspar forum if you page down farther on the home page.
Just go to the top of this page and on the black tabs click "new topic" and talk away.
Looking forward to some pics. We all love pictures, lots of 'em.

Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 3 years 7 months ago #142981

Wow! my boat is number 13!
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 3 years 7 months ago #142982

Hi I have a 1960 Club Mariner and it does not have a transom drain in the back does yours have one?
Attachments:

Re:Glasspar Club Mariner Identification 3 years 7 months ago #142988

Hello kingoftyre and welcome to FG.

As The Wizard states here in the first post “Glasspar Club Mariner, one of the best looking cutty cabins ever made” and I must agree.

I photographed and posted pics of a restored Mariner at Lake Dora a few years back.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/92458-acbs-2014-sunnyland-boat-festival-glasspar-winners.html#92473

You have a factory floor drain in the transom on the starboard side as seen in your photo.

TTBMK, the Mariner bilge did not have a drain in the transom from the factory. Glasspar advertised the safety of a sealed bilge for double flotation. You may have a deck plate on the cabin floor for bilge access.

As you mentioned the numbers indicate a 1960 19' Club Mariner and would have been hull #013. I believe the "A" in the number indicates the Santa Anna plant.

I restored a 59 Glasspar Seafair which had the one floor drain and it too did not have a bilge drain. I added a portside floor drain and occasionally us a wet vac thru the deck plate to pull out any water that accumulates.

And as 63Sabre suggested, start you own topic and let us know your plans for that beautiful Glasspar.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)