Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ideal-Aerosmith history???

Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1195

Hi, I posted about this yesterday too. I have a 1968 Ideal-Aerosmith runabout that I'm restoring. I'm looking into the history of the company, but can't find anything. I'm also looking for the correct colors for the boat. It's a really cool little boat and I want to get it right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for info on my Ideal-Aero, Built by Aero-Smith of Cheyenne, Wyoming

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1217

Only Aerosmith I know of is a band...........

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1227

If no one has heard of it, they wont know if it is all correct or not :laugh: But i understand I'd wana get it right too. Ill be on the look out for any info. I'd love to see a pic

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1233

I've got two pieces from Ideal-Aerosmith. When I researched them a few years ago, they were actually still in business, not building boats, but instruments. Nobody there could recall building the boats, but they had heard about it. I believe that these are from 1957 and 1958. What model do you have? Any photos to further ID it?

Lee Wangstad
Attachments:

Lee.... 14 years 2 months ago #1234

Do you have anything on Bowman boats? My dad had one in 61 or so, probably a late 50's model. I'd like to see if I can find some info and maybe try to find another one to redo for him.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1235

lee wangstad wrote:

I've got two pieces from Ideal-Aerosmith. When I researched them a few years ago, they were actually still in business, not building boats, but instruments. Nobody there could recall building the boats, but they had heard about it. I believe that these are from 1957 and 1958. What model do you have? Any photos to further ID it?

Lee Wangstad

Nice...I see an addition to the library in the future...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1273

Nice Lee! I don't mean to hijack this thread - but any chance you have any info or brochures on Fleetcraft Marine? (southern Cal)

There are a few examples that have surfaced - one jumbo 18' X 8' catamaran is sitting behind my garage. Wish I had any info...

Bruce G
Attachments:

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1275

Boy Bruce, whatever that cat is, I betcha she would be a load of fun on the water! Gonna get her fixed up?

Frank

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1291

I hope so Frank - it's going to need a ton of work though. Along the way, some bonehead butchered the heck out of the splashwell. It's going to be tough to put it back - but it can be done. Lucky for me the boat was so rotted that i just scooped the floor out with a shovel. Every last bit of it. I'd much rather gut a totally rotten glass boat because ti's a lot less work, less risky, and more fun.

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1326

Thanks Lee, My boat is almost exactly like these. The only difference I can see is mine has a walk through between the front seats. Thanks so much for the pics. Paul

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1327

Me too Bruce, until this thing dropped in my lap. The company now builds avionics instruments.

Re:Lee.... 14 years 2 months ago #1372

Attachments:

NOT IMPRESSED 14 years 2 months ago #1515

Not to complain to badly or anything.... How do Bowmans and others relate to Ideal-Aerosmiths????? I appreciate the info I did get about my boat from a couple people. As far a the rest, go start your own threads. This is the first time I have used this site for anything. And it will probably be the last!!!! Sorry to all the helpful people out there. You are a great source of information that can be appreciated. I would like to see a little coutesy shown toward others.
Thanks, Paul

Re:NOT IMPRESSED 14 years 2 months ago #1516

• Sandi
  • Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Thank you received: 0
No one was trying to be mean here. The thread got a little sidetracked. It happens. It happens on every forum out there too.

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1531

Hi Paul,
It happens. Don't take it too seriously. That's why I started the "Bowman" thread, to get this back on track. The relationship between Ideal-Aerosmith and Bowman is that you have two relatively obscure boat manufacturers, neither of them having much information available. They were both on the scene at approximately the same time and sold mostly to a regional market. There are at least a couple of other Ideal-Aerosmith boats out there, one for sure in Kentucky. Here are a couple of scans of the inside of the 1958 catalog showing the walk-through model. Is this closer to what yours looks like? None of the '57 boats had a walk-through front seat. A photo would help.

Lee Wangstad
Attachments:

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1533

Sorry Paul -- I should have deleted the Bowman photo after the other thread started.This was the first reference to a Bowman that I've seen on any forum and having so little info I jumped in when I saw the post. Again, sorry for the hijack.
Mark

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1561

lee wangstad wrote:

Here are a couple of scans of the inside of the 1958 catalog showing the walk-through model. Is this closer to what yours looks like? None of the '57 boats had a walk-through front seat. A photo would help.

Lee Wangstad

Library sections updated...Thanks.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1976

Hey Everyone,
I apologize for the frustration i showed about the Bowman deal. It was uncalled for. I won't make excuses for it. I do sincerly apologize.
This seems to be a really cool site, I hope to be able to contribute to it in the future. Thank you for the information so far, Its awesome!!!
I spent a few years working in engine shops where we worked on Hercules motors and some other marine engines. Although most of the engines were automotive related.
Thanks again, Paul

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1977

Thanks Lee!!! This is exactly like my little boat. For some reason mine has 1968 on the title.
again, Thanks, Paul

Re:Ideal-Aerosmith history??? 14 years 2 months ago #1980

Glad you are back Paul! It's all about the boats here. Lots of good info and people on the board. Post some pics when you can. B)

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)