Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: File sizes for submissions?

File sizes for submissions? 14 years 2 months ago #1548

I have a cool full sized brochure for Cargile house boats with fiberglass hulls. It was requested through BOATING MAGAZINE and has all the classic "Playboy" swinging models and high life imagery within. :cheer: :laugh: :laugh: It is undated, sadly.

I have a new scanner and the file sizes can be quite large. I can upload 600 dpi files to my server if nessessary.

What form would this be best to upload the scans as? Let me know and I will make it so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re: File sizes for submissions? 14 years 1 month ago #1559

When I upload, I consider an appropriate file size to run from 150 to 350 KB, depending on the actual size of the document. This can work out anywhere from 96 to 150 DPI resolution and somewhat smaller than actual dimensions. I usually scan at higher resolution and original size for my own files, but re-size images for posting. When images are sized down, the pages load much faster and the images are less likely to be reused or reprinted by someone else without permission.

When in doubt, I suggest scanning at a higher resolution, 150 to 200 DPI, and we'll resize them for posting to the Library.

I invite the other library editors to comment.

Re: File sizes for submissions? 14 years 1 month ago #1660

I scanned the brochure and other material that came with it at 600 dpi, 150 dpi and descreened just the brochure. No cropping or other alterations were made. The file sizes are quite large but I figure it is a good way to permanently digital archive. My scanner is only a month old and these are the best scans I can get off the paper.

Looking over it I found it is from 1971 (mailed in January).

Original size is 8 1/2 by 11 inches.

They are here in this folder.
www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/hip/fishingboat/cargile/

BTW, the next up root folder "/fishingboat/" contains a brochure for a Glastron fishing boat.

I'll leave this on my server until Monday afternoon then delete it. It there for anyone to download.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8016 guests and 2 members online