Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 74"Johnson 70hp R&R Prop Shaft Seals?

74"Johnson 70hp R&R Prop Shaft Seals? 1 year 1 week ago #147787

I need to replace my prop shaft seal bearings O ring (getting milky gear oil). What is the best. Buy parts separately, or get the whole Marine engineering kit. would like any hints and tips on the subject.
1974 Johnson 70 h M0D 70ESL-74M
Will the parts on Amazon do the trick ? Evinrude Johnson Propeller Shaft Seal 310599 ?
or Amazon SEI Marine Products-Compatible with Evinrude Johnson Gearcase Seal Kit 5000309 Outboard Lower Units?
Need to do this before the Ice melts.
Also any old Threads/Posts on how to do the job (date on Forum) tried to look up in search but keep coming up with "0"
Thanks for the quick reply
Delvel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

74"Johnson 70hp R&R Prop Shaft Seals? 1 year 1 week ago #147790

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Here's a diagram for your gearcase:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1974&hp=70&model=70ESL74M&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Gearcase

You could get all the parts from Marineengine.com, they're pretty reliable with fast shipping and it looks like all the parts you would need are in stock.

You'll notice in the diagram (2 ea) retaining "snap" rings Reference No. 22 -- These have to come out before the bearing carrier can be removed. Also retaining screws Ref. 28 must be removed. You'll note there's an O-ring for each of those retaining screws, Ref. 29.

Gearcase O-ring, Ref. 23.

Prop shaft inner roller bearing, Ref. 25; outer roller bearing, Ref. 26. You'll have to drive these bearings out and press-in the new bearings. Be sure to note the orientation of the bearings, one end will be flat and the other side rounded. You should always be driving in the rounded end and pressing only on the race at the flat end.

Propshaft oil seals (2), Ref 27. Note which way the lips of the seals are facing. Typically double oil seals on a gearcase should be installed with lips of the inner seal facing the oil-side of the gearcase; the outer seal's lips should face outwards against the water.

OMC used to sell a special ratcheting set of long-nose snap ring pliers for removal/reinstallation of the retaining rings. These pliers are NLA. You may be able to substitute a different brand. Or find a set of very long needle-nose pliers that you can grind down to fit the retaining rings.

This is the listing at Marineengine.com for the NLA OMC part:

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0331045&pass_title=0331045+%3A

The bearing carrier may not want to come right out, if this engine has been run in salt. You may have to heat up the outside of the gearcase to expand it, then use a slide hammer to pull the bearing carrier. Use extreme caution when doing so, the structure of the carrier can be delicate and it's quite expensive to replace if broken.

BTW cheaper to order just the bits you need, however you may eventually find the extra parts in the seal kit useful. Driveshaft oil seals are quite commonly leakers, so it's nice to have that seal kit kicking around the next time you do the impeller. Pop them old seals out and install new.

I've never heard of "SEI Marine" but I expect their stuff is made of Chinesium. Saw a comment on Amazon about their poor-quality O-rings. So that's not very promising.

Better to get the original OMC kit if available. It's NLA at Marineengine.com but Crowley Marine shows it in stock. Sierra Marine has a Sierra Marine seal kit, 18-2660, a bit cheaper on Amazon, and I would trust their parts to be of good quality.

www.crowleymarine.com/evinrude/products/5000309-gearcase-seal-kit?q=5000309

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=5000309

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2660

BTW I checked out the Sierra catalog and they say the 18-2660 seal kit doesn't cover a '74 model, but cross-referencing the parts list shows pretty much the same part numbers. So IDK what's different. And what could be said for the Sierra kit could also be said for the OMC 5000309 seal kit as well. I'd expect that the major pieces you'll need are the same.

Anyway, that's a brief overview of the job. Hope that helps............ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: delvel

74"Johnson 70hp R&R Prop Shaft Seals? 1 year 5 days ago #147809

ed-mc. Dan in TN here. He would not have to pull those snap rings to pull the bearing carrier. The snap rings hold the retainer plate behind them for the screws that hold the bearing carrier, right? Just wanted to clarify that. Much easier for him if he doesn't have to fool with those
snap rings. He can put in all the seals without tearing down the gearcase. Hope that helps!

74"Johnson 70hp R&R Prop Shaft Seals? 1 year 5 days ago #147810

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Right so, now I recall how that goes together. Makes it a lot simpler that way, eh! Thanks for the clarification. Been a long time since I've seen one of those come apart, but I do remember the snap rings and the pliers when you get in that far.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)