Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark?

Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark? 2 years 5 months ago #145604

Has anyone converted a hot engine light to a temp gauge? Or is there a better way to add a water temp gauge?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark? 2 years 4 months ago #145607

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Often though of that myself and there are sensors on the market that can be used. Here's a link that might lead you in the right direction.

Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark? 2 years 4 months ago #145608

If you are just doing this to add a gauge to the dash then it sounds like a fun project.
If you are doing to head off possible engine damage keep in mind the sender for this will react much slower than an actual overheat and subsequent engine damage will. Also not a good indicator of water pump health.
A water pressure gauge is pretty much an instant read gauge but then again you would just happen to be looking at it at the time pressure dropped.
Always good to run a bit of extra oil for protection during engine overheat if for no other reason.
Adding an overboard indicator is also not a bad idea to let you know you have water pump flow prior to leaving the dock.

Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark? 2 years 4 months ago #145623

Good things to consider. Thanks!

Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark? 2 years 4 months ago #145624

Thanks Cal! I had to replace the lower unit that was slipping. Brother in law had one, but had to replace the long driveshaft. And a new(used) voltage regulator cured the generator output problem. However, on the last sea trial checking these things out, the generator bracket broke (there is supposed to be a stabilizing link at the bottom, I didnt know about) and it jamed against the flywheel causing the flywheel nut to come off, so now I need to replace the flywheel (brother in law), after I clean up the crank shaft threads... Also, I did find a tach that connects to the high side of the breaker points for the signal. And a matching speedo should deliver any day now. Winter project . . .

Water temp gauge for '66 40hp Lark? 2 years 4 months ago #145625

Thanks Cal! I had to replace the lower unit that was slipping. Brother in law had one, but had to replace the long driveshaft. And a new(used) voltage regulator cured the generator output problem. However, on the last sea trial checking these things out, the generator bracket broke (there is supposed to be a stabilizing link at the bottom, I didnt know about) and it jamed against the flywheel causing the flywheel nut to come off, so now I need to replace the flywheel (brother in law), after I clean up the crank shaft threads... Also, I did find a tach that connects to the high side of the breaker points for the signal. And a matching speedo should deliver any day now. Winter project . . .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)