• Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Johnson, 85hp v4.....winterizing 'Q'

1978 Johnson, 85hp v4.....winterizing 'Q' 2 years 6 months ago #145467

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
For those that may not know, this engine is equipped with four carbs. My question is, how the heck do you get at the two lower carbs, bowl drain screws?? Is there a special screwdriver that one can use? Plus, it's bad enough getting the screw out, but it's even worse trying to get the plug/screw started without dropping it!

Someone must had a tip/trick....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 Johnson, 85hp v4.....winterizing 'Q' 2 years 6 months ago #145469

• F_R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Nah, there are only two carbs. Two 2-bbl carbs, that is. You only have to remove one drain plug from each carb to drain them. Pick the one that's easiest to access. The drain plugs have slotted hex heads, allowing use of a variety of screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets ---whatever you have in your toolbox. 1/4" drive flex sockets with an extension are handy in some cases on these motors.

1978 Johnson, 85hp v4.....winterizing 'Q' 2 years 6 months ago #145471

Back in '78 they used brass slotted head bowl seal screws. The hex head came later.
I use a smaller screwdriver at a 90 degree angle and slide it into the slot and hold it in the slot with my other hand and gently crack it loose then turn it with my fingers. If used gently a pair of channel lock pliers works as well.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8344 guests and 2 members online