Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Johnson 75hp v4

1960 Johnson 75hp v4 3 years 6 months ago #143253

My first post !
My story is like this:
I bought a 1958 Fiberglide with a 1960 Johnson V4 S12 on the back. The last time the engine was started was in 1975, they put into a shed. [ I think it was put up is because the lower unit will not shift forward or reverse] I got the motor freed up and it will run,
I have cleaned the points, good fire
Carb kit installed, carb cleaned up good, it pumps fuel good gut a little gas is coming out the weep hole on the fuel pump. So I guess a fuel pump rebuild in the near future.
I have the engine running but it seems to be out of time somewhat. And likes gas !!
I need clear instructions on how to put this old girl back into time right if anybody knows and would share your knowledge,,,,,,Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Johnson 75hp v4 3 years 3 months ago #143662

There are manuals available for your engine on the Bay in a CD format.
As far as timing your engine goes there are marks on the magneto that have to line up with the center of the grounding switch as well as a mark on the flywheel that has to line up with a mark on the top of the block. You will see this in the manual.
Beyond that you also have to sync. the carb to the ignition. Manual will cover that as well. Not hard at all to do but you have to have a book in front of you or photos at least. Engine is super simple and rugged.
There is also a half way decent video on YouTube on this believe it or not. Does not cover all you are asking about though.

1960 Johnson 75hp v4 3 years 3 months ago #143664

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
A good place to look up parts is www.marineengine.com

They have comprehensive parts lists, good parts diagrams and pictures.

You should still be able to find a fuel pump diaphragm kit for your old Gas-Guzzlin' V4! After you look up part numbers, check on eBay since many many parts are sold there, with plenty of good deals to be found.

BTW be sure to renew the impeller before you take it out on the water. The old OMC impellers seem to be quite durable but 45 years since last use is kinda pushing it!

The old V4's have a lot of complicated linkage in the shifting mechanism, so unless yours is a Selectric model (electric shift), check out all the bellcranks, etc in the mid-section. They may need a little torch heat, and penetrant to help free them up. If you remove the rear shroud that covers the back of the mid-section (where the exhaust relief sits), you'll have much better access to the shift mechanism.

HTH & G'luck with the project......ed

1960 Johnson 75hp v4 3 years 3 months ago #143665

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
1st lesson:

Here's your fuel pump parts at marineengine.com:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1960&hp=75&model=V4S-12&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Fuel+Pump+Group

You'll note that diaphragm part #11 in the diagram, 305186, is NLA. But you can get the repair kit with the diaphragm and other parts for $36.99 plus $8.95 flat-rate shipping for parts up to 5 pounds. Which is a pretty good rate compared to a lot of marine online parts sellers.

Here's a search for 305186 on eBay:

https:// www. ebay. com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Diaphragm+305186&_sacat=0

(this site is still parsing ebay links, so you'll have to copy the link above, paste it into the address bar of your browser, and remove the spaces, to get it to work properly)

Note that a few diaphragms popped up. Folks are always buying parts from closed marine stores, then selling the NOS parts on eBay. So it's a fount of NLA parts. Possibly the last resource, for some parts.

So if you only need a diaphragm to get your fuel pump squared away, the eBay part is $20.47 shipped.

The fuel pump kit at Marineengine is gonna cost you $45.94 shipped. I've found the best way to order parts there is to work up a big parts list, then it's economical to ship, long as it's 5lb or less. If you're just buying a $.75 O-ring, not so much.

Therefore, if you only need the diaphragm, you just saved $25.97, which at $3.00/gal would buy you enough gas to run your 75hp at full throttle for maybe 45 minutes to an hour! I had one of these on an old G3 and man did it guzzle gas.

But they are good runners when tuned properly, and idle really nice, with a lot of hole-shot torque. If you keep them around 3/4 throttle as a cruise speed, they don't burn quite as much. When you give them WOT, you can literally see the fuel pouring down the carbs like a fire hose!!

So there ya go, have fun!.........ed

1960 Johnson 75hp v4 3 years 3 months ago #143710

A little update
After a teardown of the lower unit, the bearings was runted to the inside of the lower unit housing. The internals are all rusted , lower will be junk, maybe some parts could be used. Its all in a plastic box now.
I did buy a manual and can run the engine using a water hose attached to water pump tube.
With that being said I need to sell this 75hp, so if any of you are down in south Arkansas come by and pick her up
Thanks for the help on locating parts !!

I have a 50 Mercury that will be going on the Fiberglide,

Again thanks for your help

1960 Johnson 75hp v4 3 years 3 months ago #143716

Lower units are plentiful for these engines. Do yourself a favor and go to the AOMCI site and to the ask-a-menber section and see who has one for you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)