• Page:

TOPIC: Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 11 months ago #142120

• DLB68
  • DLB68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1972 Johnson Model 65ESL72S . It id not equipped for power trim , it has the hole markings , but the holes in the swivel bracket are not drilled through. How can I go about adding this option to this engine .?. I have found a few $$$ WORM drive units but I am unsure if that is usable on a 72 . I have a few Mercury trim units , But they Just WON'T Work on the JohnnyRude ... And Yes I am Always Looking for another Arkansas Traveler ... The engine pictured is not MINE ! Just a reference that I have used ...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 11 months ago #142146

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sorry to be late to the party. I don't think there was actually a TRIM and tilt unit for '72. There is a bolt on tilt unit but I don't know if you can trim out under power with it. I have a TILT unit on my ''76 Johnson that I can share pictures if you want.
couple of options; If you can find an old junk motor with tilt just pull the swap. Sounds far fetched because the tilt for '72 was an option that I suspect not too many people chose.
Craigslist or eBay might have a unit to fit your 72.
Here's a snapshot of the unit for the '72 65hp mounting. Check it out and see if the holes you mention are in the right place.
Hope this helps somewhat.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1972&model=Electrical+1972§ion=Power+Tilt+Kit+65+Hp+Models&yid=34239&mid=34240&sid=35522

Anything on eBay is more expensive than a used motor.
You can try this guy. He has acres of used motors that he parts out.
greenbayprop.com/

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 11 months ago #142148

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I find it funny that Mercury had this available on many models. During the 60s most larger models had the option as a standard... Mercury also uses the tilt tube style steering assembly yet Others hung on to the old cable / pulley style steering..

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 11 months ago #142183

• DPA
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Power tilt was a factory kit accessory in 1972. Power trim was first available in 1973, again as a factory kit accessory but not compatible with the 1972 models as far as I know. If you're looking for tilt only, you might be able to find used parts. Here is a photo of the kit option from the 1972 brochure.
Attachments:

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 6 months ago #143227

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'm still looking LoL...

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 4 months ago #143544

I am in a similar situation. I want to add power trim and tilt to the 1974 Evinrude 70 on my Fabuglas 160.There is information online, tons of part numbers, several used setups available but nothing 100% conclusive about what would have been original and what will definitely work. I guess I could just buy one of each of the 4 styles I have found then sell the ones that don't fit, but it would be better to buy the right one the first time. Any expertise is appreciated. And if anyone has a unit for sale that will fit, definitely contact me. Thanks!
Attachments:

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 4 months ago #143547

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If you have deep pockets buy them. A suggestion would be to go to marineengine.com and find the part number for the t/t for your motor. That way you can be sure without the expense. They have factory schematics and pics of the units for each application.
Good Luck

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 4 months ago #143559

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Sometimes I use a google search after I click the images button. Then I get to look at tons of pictures of the same year same size and same brand of motor. Often I find a picture showing me what I was looking for. Maybe that could also help you recognize the proper unit. I end up looking at lots of pictures because sometimes they show the wrong year or size motor. You can scroll through the pictures pretty fast though. Just a thought I had to help, but the technical information is better that was given before. Likely that serial number will lead you to the right assembly.

Dr.Go!

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 3 months ago #143658

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Okay ... So in my everyday search for a Tilt. Or T&T unit for my 1973 - 65 hp Johnson .. I stumbled upon a 1972 BassCat DLX . Complete w/ a 1975 V4 - 85HP Johnson. I bought it Sight Unseen... The tilt trim unit is complete. But I can't see removing it from the V4 engine unless the compression test shows otherwise... I'm happy I found the Factory Complete Boat ... But not sure if I have made progress on the Original Objective lol.....
Attachments:

Adding Tilt to a 1972 NON TILT Johnson 3 years 3 months ago #143659

LOL yeah that's usually how we all end up with "extra parts"!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)