Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No power to starter

No power to starter 12 years 6 months ago #45077

• T30
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My last trip out(with my 84 yr old father in law). My bear cat lost power. I noticed the throttle cable had come loose from the clamp on the side of the motor. As I throttled down both high temp and low oil pressure alarms came on. I shut down the engine, reclamped the cable. When I turned the ignition key on both alarms came on again. I tried to turn over the engine but the starter would not engage. I paddled to shore and checked over the engine. I disconnected the pressure sensor and the alarms stopped of course, but still no power to the starter. I know the alarms are false as I could leave my hand on the manifold by the high temp switch.
We paddled back to the marina, maybe 1/4 way before someone stopped and towed us in. Cant believe about 6 or 7 guys went by without stopping!

Any ideas of where I would start to look for trouble shooting? I am thinking it maybe the neutral switch in the control box that stops one from staring the engine in gear. But the dual alarms are puzzling me.
I have a 1971 Bear cat I bought from Redding, "rebuilt". On a 14' Arkansas Traveller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:No power to starter 12 years 6 months ago #45111

Well there are a couple things that are relatively easy to check with a simple multimeter.

1. is the inline fuse still good?(no power to the relay)

2. is there power to the relay? If so is the power getting from the relay to the starter? (bad relay)

3. engage the starter gear to the flywheel and try to turn it by hand. (could be on a flat spot on the windings)

From my understanding of the wiring of the control boxes the buzzers have no "failsafe" to shut off the motor.

If it's in the control box you could have a shorted ignition switch but that is pretty rare. Or could have some wires shorting to the control box itself.

Just a couple things to check. I have a wiring diagram that I can scan and e-mail to you if you need.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:No power to starter 12 years 6 months ago #45239

Try pulling the back cover of the control box. Then look to see if the neutral safety switch is being pushed in. If not try pushing it in all the way. If it starts when pushed in it just might need to be worked out enough to make it contact. You say 2 buzzers are going off? I thought there is only 1 buzzer and the red light??? I just had my control box open today and only seen 1 buzzer. 63 homelite here.

Re:No power to starter 12 years 6 months ago #45395

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
First place I'd start is with a remote starter switch hooked to the solenoid, fwd small lug wire connection (green wire) to aft battery large lug cable connection. If the starter works now your problem is isolated to the ignition switch or wiring from it to the solenoid. If it doesn't work then it's the solenoid or starter. If the solenoid clicks (no click = bad solenoid)when jumped and the starter does not spin then the starter is your problem. Could be worn brushes in the starter. I've experienced a few dirty ignition switches which can be easily dissembled for cleaning.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:No power to starter 12 years 6 months ago #45408

I found out when then light is on and the horn is blowing ,The starter won't ingage.Wiggle the throttle handle so the light and horn is off. Then try starting.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)