Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beatcat 55 Steering

Beatcat 55 Steering 7 years 7 months ago #126616

Hi Folks -

I am new to the site and am restoring a 16 Nauset Whaler with a Bearcat 55 ( F Model, 1970) that I purchased from Ed in S California..

I am planning to use the original Teleflex helm and transom mount cable, but can anyone provide a close up pic of where the steering cable attaches to the motor? Or is there any type of aftermarket adapter that can accept a teleflex cable?

Thanks in !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Beatcat 55 Steering 7 years 7 months ago #126651

Here is an original setup with a 1969 Bearcat on a 1970 BW Sakonnet. The cable end terminated to a fitting with a 'universal' joint, and the fitting encircled the threaded post on the engine between the nuts you can see. The plate pictured above the nuts on the post was for, I think, the old cable/pulley steering setup. We used it to attached a rod that connected to the kicker so you could steer the kicker from the helm.

Make sure the original cable is still functional. They get stiff, rusted, dry, and bind the steering, and are difficult to re-lubricate to get working again. These pictures were taken when I replaced the cable for just that reason, about 2 years ago. The replacement cable depends on the type of helm you have. Many folks suggest upgrading to the newer 'no feedback' helms. I just put a new cable on mine.

Depending on your cable end configuration at the outboard, one of these connectors may work:

Attachments:

Re:Beatcat 55 Steering 7 years 7 months ago #126652

Re:Beatcat 55 Steering 7 years 7 months ago #126657

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
WOW! Stuff got pricey! I have many ball joints and dind't think they were worth so much. But heres one much cheaper..

www.starmarinedepot.com/seastar-1%2F2%22-ss-ball-joint-for-tiebar.html?gclid=CIzPvLPa-84CFZBefgodv8AIsg

Re:Beatcat 55 Steering 7 years 2 months ago #130043

With this setup were you able to tilt the motor for towing?

Re:Beatcat 55 Steering 7 years 2 months ago #130324

It would probably work with a slight tilt. We never did, as there was no power tilt to achieve such a position, and the locking mechanism present is only for a full tilt not suitable for running the engine. We had a Honda 10 hp kicker bought partially for trolling, but honestly, if the Bearcat is tuned correctly to idle at 600-700 rpm, it moved the boat more slowly than the kicker did.

Edit: Oops, sorry. I read "trolling" instead of "towing." Yes, because the transom mount for the cable includes a swivel, you could tilt the engine completely up and use the locking mechanism on the transom clamp to keep the engine in full tilt position. However, I would use one of the aftermarket support brackets that mounts on the trailer and extends to the lower unit, supporting the engine in a tilted position for towing. We used the transom clamp locking mechanism while towing once, and the engine bouncing broke the locking mechanism.

Beatcat 55 Steering 4 years 10 months ago #139921

I think the idea is very good

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8449 guests and 2 members online