• Page:

TOPIC: Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch

Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 8 years 8 months ago #112754

• davriker
  • davriker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My charging system voltage seems to be very dependent on engine RPM, then I discovered that these engines do not have a regulator, and as such were not designed to run with modern maintenance free batteries.

Since the stator appears to operate just like that on a motorcycle, I have ordered a Mosfet rectifier/regulator combination. It appears that the three wires coming off of the stator are interchangeable, and serve the same function, same as the three wires that come off of the stator on a motorcycle. I should be able to hook those to the three yellow wires on the input side of the mosfet unit, and get a regulated 14.2 volts out of the unit, instead of the 12-16 variance I'm seeing now.
Is my thinking correct?

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 8 years 8 months ago #112828

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
davriker wrote:

My charging system voltage seems to be very dependent on engine RPM, then I discovered that these engines do not have a regulator, and as such were not designed to run with modern maintenance free batteries.

Since the stator appears to operate just like that on a motorcycle, I have ordered a Mosfet rectifier/regulator combination. It appears that the three wires coming off of the stator are interchangeable, and serve the same function, same as the three wires that come off of the stator on a motorcycle. I should be able to hook those to the three yellow wires on the input side of the mosfet unit, and get a regulated 14.2 volts out of the unit, instead of the 12-16 variance I'm seeing now.
Is my thinking correct?

Dave

Yep your thinking is correct, keep us posted on how it works out. I was planning on doing the same but with a Kohler unit that some have been using on the non-regulated Honda's of the early '60's. The 85hp came with a regulator and rectifier as separate units, mine was missing the regulator. I used a late '60's Honda separate regulator and the system worked perfect.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 8 years 8 months ago #112857

• davriker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Installed the new regulator last night. Everything went pretty smooth. Ran the motor in the trash can, held a steady reading on the voltmeter regardless of RPM. I thought I had an ammeter to use temporarily to watch the output, but I didn't. I have an induction ammeter that you hold against the charge wire, but I don't three hands.
Attachments:

Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 7 years 6 days ago #130964

Davriker, Saw this old post and was wondering how the Mosfet regulator has worked out so far. I run two 55's and have had overcharging issues, in spite of pulling the black wires and running just the gray and yellow from the stator. I want to install Pertonix ignition systems on both motors but the 16 volts that they make when running hard would fry them (not to mention that my fish finder and chart plotter are also at risk). I would love to find out where to get a couple of these and some input on how you wired yours. Thanks, Paul (Driller)

Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 7 years 5 days ago #130974

• davriker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
A modern Mosfet chip controlled recifier/regulator combination made for a Suzuki motorcycle. Just search eBay. They are about $30 It has a 50 amp peak capacity with a 30 amp rating. About the most the Homelite will put out is in the 15 amp range. Installation was simple, remove the old rectifier, splice the three wires from the stator to the 3 yellow wires feeding the new regulator(it doesn't matter which ones, all three wires do the same job), hook one of the green wires to ground (the regulator has two) and one of the red wires (again, there are two) to the positive post on the starter relay. If you run an amp meter gauge, this may be different. I'm not sure how to make the two engines feed the batteries correctly, but you probably already have some kind of isolation circuit in place to deal with that.

Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 7 years 4 days ago #130993

Dave, I got your email and responded but my server is having trouble and a lot of my emails have been returned as spam. I'm going to order two of those Suzuki mosfet units for sure. And you may or may not have heard but globe composites refuses to make the water pump impellers anymore, no one does. Ed Ewing is setting up some motors with an electric pump. I've found one made by another company that I'm boring the hub on to get it to the right size and having a key slot cut in it. Looks good but I wont know if it works for a few weeks. I can send videos of my boat running with the twins via text from my phone. Was also wondering if you or Dick Johnson has tried the Pertronix ignition systems. They are also on my list of upgrades but I had to get my voltage under control first. Thanks for the info., Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: amuller, davriker

Replacing Rectifier & Hi-Lo Switch 7 years 4 days ago #130997

• davriker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, I have the Petronix system. With that, I upgraded to Bosch 00012 Super Coil,
tinyurl.com/mzvjcnz
New plug wires (used 4 from a 6 cylinder set,
tinyurl.com/lj47rbm
Cap:Standard Motor Products AL137 Ignition Cap
tinyurl.com/mau3l2n
Cap Top: Standard Motor Products AL136 Cap Cover
tinyurl.com/kr2vr8s
Rotor: Standard Motor Products AL102 Ignition Rotor
tinyurl.com/lcevqv8
Increased Gap slightly (I wrote it down, but I think it was to 40 thous.
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: amuller

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)