Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A forum for owners and fans of Chrysler and Force engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: chrysler 55 opinions

chrysler 55 opinions 9 years 7 months ago #99567

Hey all,

I am currently running a 40hp johnson on my boat and am wishing for a little more power and top speed.

The boat is an early 60's crownline, 14' long. I'm not sure what the original hp rating was, but i did rebuild the transom last year so i know it is as solid as a rock.

Im wondering what you guys think about the chrysler 55's? There seem to be a ton on craigslist near me reasonably priced. I have read that they are light motors, but i dont really know much else about them.

I will need a short shaft, and it appears that alot of them online are long shafts. How hard is it to convert?

Am i correct that they made them from the 60's until the mid 70s'? Are there any years i should avoid or look for?

let me know what you guys think of these motors. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:chrysler 55 opinions 9 years 7 months ago #99568

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I don't know for sure, but think finding a short shaft motor, or even a short L/U could be a problem. I'd skip it and look for a 50/60 Johhyrude or a Merc be way easier.

Re:chrysler 55 opinions 9 years 7 months ago #99817

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The only short Chryslers I have seen (other than smaller tiller steer 'fishin' motors) are early 35s and rare short race setups on the bigger motors. I am sure it was an option but by the mid 60s' 15" transoms on all but high HP go fast boats were about gone.

The speed increase between a 40hp and a 55 you would need a gps speedo to see. Not worth it IMHO.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:chrysler 55 opinions 9 years 5 months ago #102437

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Since my last post I lucked up on a nice short, 45 hp of a 1974 vintage. So 'big' shorties can be had, just not so common. I don't think short shaft was ever phased out as a option by any MFG except late, on 'big' motors. Even then there are aftermarket shortie/race lowers.

If you want a 'big' motor a 60 to 64 ish West Bend 80 Shark, later up dated into the Chrysler 105, can be found in a short versions. In the 60's boats with short transoms were still common. Not much later only small open boats had short transoms, and they used motors up to about 25hp, generally speaking.

If you see a short motor of the size / brand you want grab it running or not, if the price is right. You can always find the equivalent good long shaft and do a shaftectomy. :)

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7802 guests and no members online