Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A forum for owners and fans of Chrysler and Force engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 71 55 hp Chrysler information

71 55 hp Chrysler information 2 years 9 months ago #144740

Hi all! New to all this so please bear with me.
I purchased an old sea start 15’ tri-hull with a 55 hp Chrysler on it. The motor is a 71. I’ve had it running a short bit and so far most is well. I changes the impeller for the water pump and here’s my question.
The pipe from the impeller housing up came out with the lower unit. I’m trying to figure out where it connects up top. I honestly don’t think it just goes up and connects to nothing. The manual doesn’t specify anything about the pipe so I’m kinda lost. Any help would be great. Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

71 55 hp Chrysler information 2 years 9 months ago #144744

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Well, if it doesn't connect to anything, you're not gonna get water to the powerhead!

I was looking at a diagram for a 1975 55hp (the oldest year I could find) at www.marineengine.com and the pipe is smooth on both ends. At the bottom you've got a rubber grommet in the water pump.

At the top, it appears to have an O-ring that the tube slides into, and a flat washer, which I would imagine serves as a "stop" for the tube.

I'd bet if you look upwards at the inside of the exhaust tower with a strong flashlight, you'll see a hole for the water tube. It'll probably be on a side. I was also looking at the gasketing for what they call the "Leg" aka exhaust tower, and there's a round hole on the side of both lower and upper gaskets, that looks like it's about the right size for a water passage.

Check out the diagrams, a lot of good info there:

www.marineengine.com/parts/chrysler-outboard-parts/55-1974/554bg

Specifically, "Gear Housing" and "Motor Leg".

I found a good picture of the water tube for a short shaft engine on eBay. Just take the part number from the diagrams and paste into the eBay search box.

HTH..............ed

71 55 hp Chrysler information 2 years 9 months ago #144750

Actually I did find it. The tube curves and it was off to the left side. It was actually harder to get the lower unit connected after it was hooked to the power head. Still haven’t ran it yet to see if all is well, that’s later today. Thanks for the response

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)