TOPIC: Spiboot

Spiboot 10 years 6 months ago #84623

• tinus
  • tinus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello there,
does anyone of you know the brand Spiboot?It is made in Switserland in the fifties/sixties and I have 2 of them. One just restored with a 40hp outboard and a new project with a 88hp inboard 2 stroke omc. For I know these engines where only produced for 2 or 3 years.It looks ok and I am mounting it together so I can start the engine and see if I keep this one or fit another engine.
Martin
Amsterdam Holland
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Spiboot 10 years 6 months ago #84624

• tinus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
and this is the new one.
Attachments:

Re:Spiboot 10 years 6 months ago #84632

welcome aboard martin, very nice lummies.
(aluminum boats.

Re:Spiboot 10 years 6 months ago #84637

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
martin, very cool looking boats. glad they are not close as I would have to have one. never heard of them before, but some one here will have info for you. frog

Re:Spiboot 10 years 6 months ago #84691

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Martin, great to see you over here. Gotta agree with the guys, very cool lummies! I've not seen anything like those on this side of the pond, but maybe one of the gang with more background here will be able to lend a hand?

Mark

Re:Spiboot 10 years 6 months ago #84704

tinus,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NICE boats!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Spiboot 10 years 5 months ago #85175

• tinus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank for the warm welcome. I will keep you updated with the progress of the second(red) one.
We now have installed the engine and z drive, connected the wires and next thing is to start it up. Hopefully it will run good.
If anyone knows more about these first inboards from omc and knows where to get parts,I would really appreciate that.
For now I need a lower engine mount and off course as much info as possible. Engine type is DU11-R.
Martin

Re:Spiboot 10 years 5 months ago #85177

• MarkS
Martin, your might give Jim Andros a call. He's liquidating his entire store/shop inventory, plus has a wealth of knowledge on the older systems;

Mercury, OMC and Arctic Cat parts

Postby JimAndros
I will be closing my store approx the end of October. I have many years of the above parts, some tools ads manuals available. There are some NLA parts, particularly OMC. The list is too long to post, thousands of items. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for information. Jim

(If you're interested I'll PM you his phone number.) ;)

Mark

Re:Spiboot 10 years 2 weeks ago #91946

• tinus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
a friend of mine who also has a Spiboot we have created a website for enthusiastic people of this brand. We try also to identify where the boats have remained and everyone can add his story to the website.We also try to find remaining parts
Look at www.spiboot.com

Martin

Re:Spiboot 10 years 2 weeks ago #91957

Evinrude made a twin motor setup with two outdrives like yours. www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Omca63001.JPG
Look in the Glassic Library under fiberglass boats at the Evinrude
brochures.

Re:Spiboot 10 years 1 week ago #92032

I just stumbled across this posting today. Thanks Mark for the good word. I've been out of the business since November. A great relief to be sure. I'm now the parts manager at the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealer in Rhinelander, WI.

As for the old 2 stoke DU drives;
They were made from about 62 thru 68. There is a bit of confusion exactly when because models years are introduced the year before. Most were put into OMC built boats. To be honest the only one I can recall ever seeing in person that was in a non OMC built boat is mine (the Shell Lake). I have however seen catalogs showing them as options in several brands of boats.
They were built with and without oil injection. I believe the 1st ones were the 88 HP with injection and later ones were 90 HP without. I was told that the timing belt drove the oil pump and was subject to failure. I do know that the timing belts were different part numbers, so that seems reasonable.

As for your motor mount, There were several models of transom mounted OMCs that used the same type mount. Yes, transom mounted. Some of the 2 stroke DUs hung from the transom and did not touch the floor. Actually, I think the mount as shown in your picture was early production units only. Mine has all four mounts thru the transom and no big bracket going forward. There were several years of V6 and V8 "stringer" models that actually had 2 different engine mounting options. Some had floor mounts only, front & rear. Others had transom mounts and a forward motor mount. I believe the motor mounts (rubber sandwich partion) from any with a transom mount will fit. These were used until about '71 or so when they all became floor mounts only.

Jim
Attachments:

Re:Spiboot 8 years 9 months ago #112141

• tinus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It took a while , but in between some big projects and work I managed to finish the restoration. At leats ,that's what I thought until last weekend. I finally had the time to lift her on a trailer and put her into the water on a slipway at my neighbours. This is the first time I could really let the engine run . On high revs it sound ok , but idle is out of the question.After some small bangs it stops an will start very difficult afterwards. This has probably to do with the carburettor, so this needs attention. Does anyone knows if the is a complete gasket set available for these carburettors?
Other thing is that now the engine was warm, I coul messure the compression. And this worrys me more. 3,5/4/4,5/5 bar is what I messured and it looks to me that is not good.
I don't know if I should waste moer time and money on such a non desired engine, and maybe look for a more modern 4 stroke replacement.

On the other hand , it seems to be the original engine and I think it becomes to be a very rare one.

Re:Spiboot 8 years 9 months ago #112177

• MarkS
Since 3.5 bar = around 50 psi, and 5 bar = 70 psi, I would be inclined to agree there are problems with that motor Martin. Anything more than 5 or 6 psi variance between cylinders indicates problems in my book.

If it were me I believe I would be looking for a more updated and "user friendly" engine and outdrive assy. I know you'll loose some of the originality of the craft, but unless you're building a show-only boat the serviceability outweighs the argument IMHO. Just my two cents....... ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7952 guests and 2 members online