Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO"

1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57350

Just wondering if these boats are collectable or desirable.I can pick one up complete for almost nothing.Any thing i should look out for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57352

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
IMHO, YES, grab it! The experts can help advise you on what to look for, but I think those are very cool old cruisers. Have you checked out the brochures in the Library here?;
www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Lonestarb60006.jpg

Welcome aboard, BTW. ;)

Mark

Re:1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57356

Thanks Mark,I have checked out the library some great info in there.I have been viewing info on fiberglassics for a few years since i got my 1958 Glastron SurFflite.Thanks again for your help.

Re:1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57364

A few things you might take into consideration: condition of the hull (dents/gashes/loose seams), parts (what's broken, missing, needs refurbishing), what comes with the boat (motor/trailer/extra parts).

Re:1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57498

Lone Stars are great boats. I have a '60 El Dorado myself. Very well-built, roomy cruiser. Have had 2 others as well.

Like Handy Andy said, try to ascertain if the rivets are tight and if the trailer will get you home. Mine had 8" of water in it with no drips, so I knew it would float ;) . Also check to see if the transom is solid by rapping on it with your knuckles or a small hammer. You want to hear a consistent "solid" sound throughout. Even if it's shot, don't worry. Transom (or floor) on an aluminum boat is easy to replace compared to doing one on a fiberglass boat.

I would get it if I were you! Show some pics.

Here is mine "as found".

Paul
Attachments:

Re:1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57499

Lone Stars are great boats. I have a '60 El Dorado myself. Very well-built, roomy cruiser. Have had 2 others as well.

Like Handy Andy said, try to ascertain if the rivets are tight and if the trailer will get you home. Mine had 8" of water in it with no drips, so I knew it would float ;) . Also check to see if the transom is solid by rapping on it with your knuckles or a small hammer. You want to hear a consistent "solid" sound throughout. Even if it's shot, don't worry. Transom (or floor) on an aluminum boat is easy to replace compared to doing one on a fiberglass boat.

I would get it if I were you! Show some pics.

Here is mine "as found".

Paul
Attachments:

Re: 1960 Lonestar "EL DORADO" 12 years 1 month ago #57683

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
check for rivet head condition on the inside. if the boat has sat with water in it for years and years, the rivets may be badly corroded- seen it before and seen it on several late 50s lone stars in the last few years to the point where over 100 rivets would have had to be replaced on one boat. so take a look at those.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)