• Page:

TOPIC: I captured an Albatross last week

I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23450

• jon_a
  • jon_a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
1954 or 1955, no engine, but a straight boat. needs to have two patches on it. the original engine set up was a DIRECT DRIVE flat head 4. i'm thinking about re-doing the original set up or close but that would take a ton of fabricating parts.

the quick solution to power, WITH a transmission may be a liquid cooled motorcycle engine.

definitely a neat boat. super low serial number of 113 or 115, i forget which but the plate is there.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23461

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Love it

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23464

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Great find.
Another one saved.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23539

Nice, despite the transom mods! Would have had a 4 pot Ford 100E in it, some are modded to pre-crossflow and some even had gearboxes, rather than direct drive..The best to get is the Coventry Climax engineed version.

Enjoy and if you need parts, ebay UK has a number available at any time, I think listed this week, and some of our CMBA club members ( www.cmba-uk.com ) can help with specs and badges, burgees, bowlamps that sort of thing. Check in Internet Finds on the site for marinising bits. We have one serious expert who has a list of most boat serials and an extremely quick series 1. Just be careful that they have a finite top end, given conventional shaft angle and propellors, so overpowering I believe causes the stern to rise out the water and the bow to dig in.

Re:I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23565

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Definitely worth the LONG trip you made to get her Jon, nice find! Glad to see the trailer made it home okay. ;)

Mark

Re: I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23584

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Jon you sure have come up with some interesting boats out there.

Re:I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23623

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
chirombo wrote:

Nice, despite the transom mods! Would have had a 4 pot Ford 100E in it, some are modded to pre-crossflow and some even had gearboxes, rather than direct drive..The best to get is the Coventry Climax engineed version.

Enjoy and if you need parts, ebay UK has a number available at any time, I think listed this week, and some of our CMBA club members ( www.cmba-uk.com ) can help with specs and badges, burgees, bowlamps that sort of thing. Check in Internet Finds on the site for marinising bits. We have one serious expert who has a list of most boat serials and an extremely quick series 1. Just be careful that they have a finite top end, given conventional shaft angle and propellors, so overpowering I believe causes the stern to rise out the water and the bow to dig in.

YES- i was lucky enough to bump into rod c. at a meet a week after i bought the boat and scrubbed his brain quite a bit on parts and possible engine combo's. coventry is too big for this boat as much as i'd love to do that.

a liquid cooled motorcycle engine might be the most cost effective way to get it back on the water in the short term but to quote a (in)famous US president, "i will not rest" until it has a flat head in it. the sound is too cool if the revs are too low.

i am very lucky that they DID NOT EVER bolt a motor to this thing once the hillbilly carving was done on the transom, no evidence of a transom board at all. there was no support network for outboard motor transom stress and i think even the back yard butchers realized that.

Re:I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23625

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Definitely worth the LONG trip you made to get her Jon, nice find! Glad to see the trailer made it home okay. ;)

hey mark- yes the trailer did great. thanks for your help w/ that. i wound up in dalton that night, couldn't make it all the way back in one gulp!

on that custom craft trailer- balanced tires will go a LONG WAY toward taking the wobble out of it. even w/ good shocks and unbalanced tires she'll wobble. i learned that a couple trailers back......

Re:I captured an Albatross last week 13 years 2 months ago #23673

Well done picking Rod's brains, what he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing...He and a guy called Pete G, whom Rod may have mentioned.

Am a philistine when it comes to Albatrosses, mainly as I struggle to get comfortable in them, being tall, but they are a blast and a delight to waterski behind. They're rare your side of the pond, so hope you get it on the water soon, regardless of chosen power plant.

Nick

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6460 guests and no members online