Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sorry I sold her

Sorry I sold her 13 years 4 months ago #21386

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This boat I owned 25+ years ago. Her name was Alice and she came off a Lake Freighter, was built in 1939 for American Steamship and had a capacity of 25 people, according to the ID plate. Alice was retrofitted with a 4 cylinder Hercules engine,maybe 60 hp.Hull speed was about 12 mph. We put a nice surry top on her which also doubled as a storage space for our oversized Windsurfers.Installed a steering wheel as it had a tiller only setup.The throttle cable was a speaker wire and I upgraded it to a choke cable assembly.The trailer was a old truck frame that steered by the front wheels and had a signpost as a tongue and no lights.Could not go over 15mph or it would go out of control. Being young?and stupid we managed to tow it through the city of Buffalo, past City hall and up on the Skyway for it's maiden launch on the other side, never got stopped by the cops for some reason.While launching it the trailer hitch popped off the ball and Alice being on a steep grade took off like it was on rails, just like the ship she came off was when she was christened.A couple people standing on the pier jumped into there boat on the other side as they saw her boring down on them.She missed the dock by inches,the trailer ended up about 8'under water. Man I could go on about the stories with that old lifeboat. Sold her for some reason and I have never seen her on the waters again.I guess she just cruised off into the sunset.....................She was a real Classic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re: Sorry I sold her 13 years 4 months ago #21402

Would be nice to see a picture of Alice.

Hello, World!!

Re: Sorry I sold her 13 years 4 months ago #21425

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have very few pictures of her, but I do have one of her on land with a side view.She was on blocks for that picture as I left the trailer [if you want to call it that] at the marina where she was launched. Came back in the fall and it was gone.I moored her about a mile from that site.I will have to find someone that can scan the picture. Alice was 24' long,maybe a 6' beam with a round bottom,she rocked a lot unless underway. Of course it had a Aluminum or tin hull about a 1/4" thick,hence the post on this page, and positive flotation tanks fore and aft.It was in the swapsheet and the guy was asking 500,met him,he told me he listed for 500 to keep the rif-raf away and we settled on 250.Couldn't keep this rif-raf away, ha.

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6772 guests and 2 members online