• Page:

TOPIC: Lone Star Malibu seating

Lone Star Malibu seating 14 years 2 months ago #2024

• abw
  • abw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The Malibu I have had four plastic swivel seats in it, all original seating is gone. I have searched the brochures and concluded that it is a 1962, the upholstery color sceme can be copied, my question is how were the seat backs supported? the earlier years show triangle gussets from sides to seat backs, mine show no signs of these nor does the brochure, any ideas? there are no holes or even scratches on the sides of the hull.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54119

I have a '63 and have the same issue. I cannot figure out how the seat backs were braced. Have you figured this out yet? If so I would appreicate your assistance. All I can figure out is that these were braced underneath the seat bottom with a support stringer that was attached with angle brackets and braced the back to minimize the flex action. My concern with this is that this seems like it would put excessive stress on the seat lip where the seat back screw hole are at the bottom of the seat back. I am also just guessing that the seat back was relatively thick plywood - at least 1/2" maybe even 3/4". Again, any help is appreciated.

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54120

I have a '63 and have the same issue. I cannot figure out how the seat backs were braced. Have you figured this out yet? If so I would appreicate your assistance. All I can figure out is that these were braced underneath the seat bottom with a support stringer that was attached with angle brackets and braced the back to minimize the flex action. My concern with this is that this seems like it would put excessive stress on the seat lip where the seat back screw hole are at the bottom of the seat back. I am also just guessing that the seat back was relatively thick plywood - at least 1/2" maybe even 3/4". Again, any help is appreciated.

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54189

There are triangular pieces that come off the gunnel to support the back of the seat. If I can find a pic of my malibu Ill post it

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54224

The triangle pieces you reference were used on Malibus from thru 61. On the 62 and 63 models these were not used and the seat backs were redesigned. I believe these later models had thicker seat backs and no visable seat back braces attached to the sides of the boat. I have a pattern for the aluminium triangle shaped braces but was hoping to understand the original design before proceeding.

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54286

Very good. I wonder if they did the seats like this El Dorado I took some photos of.
Attachments:

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54348

• ebdn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Here is a picture (I hope) of seats from a Malibu that was said to be a '62.

Ed
Attachments:

Re:Lone Star Malibu seating 12 years 3 months ago #54365

Wow completely free standing. It looks cool.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)