Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Feather Craft Ski Bo transom rebuild.ck

1960 Feather Craft Ski Bo transom rebuild.ck 1 year 2 weeks ago #147842

Well after much work I am making progress with the mess someone left me. The boat is SK 196 U GA5. Makes it a 1960 (GA) built in July (U) and the (B) means blue anodized . Original photos show the poor condition of the wood on the transom was in. The PO had put boards all the way across the rear. Wood rotted away at the bottoms completely and poor at the top. Interesting that FC chooses to put the back boards on vertically and long. The lower ends of the boards will be under water? The boat will not be left in the water so I guess not a big deal, but seems odd.. Original wood type is African Mahogony. May not go back with this? Probably Sapele or red Grandis. Much more readily available and cheaper.
The transom has (90) holes in it. Sheet rock screws were used and rust had occurred . Tough to get out of the wood, but lots just broke off. Thank goodness! Now to patch holes with Alum Bond (Hy Poxy H-450). All aluminum product vs other metal patch products . I think I am gong to skin the stern with aluminum skin? About 1/8” thick, maybe inside and out. With 5200 and a lot fewer screws? The engine (1959 Fat Fifty) is a big motor. Boat is rated for 45hp. 3/4” inside board being replaced and vertical board (1”) being made to replace rotten wood. Probably domino those boards? Aluminum fasteners will be used all around. Notice I only had to pull the port cap support tomtelmove inside transom board. Still a bitch with broken off rusty screws. Total of 14 rivets. Those will be replaced. A lot if silicone was used at the bottom of the boards. I would guess an attempt to seal the raw edges. I will be using Total Boat (Jamestown Distributors) CPES on all wood. Wish me luck!
Dan in TN
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Feather Craft Ski Bo transom rebuild.ck 1 year 2 weeks ago #147843

GOOD LUCK! Sounds like you have a plan in mind how you want to do it. Now git-r-dun!

1960 Feather Craft Ski Bo transom rebuild.ck 1 year 2 weeks ago #147844

Open to any suggestions. Another pic of what I want to accomplish. Found this 1959 Ski Bo online. My interior will be different, but hopefully transom will be similar.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7013 guests and 2 members online