• Page:

TOPIC: Need an Opinion

Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35453

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
OK folks, need an opinion here please. Is this boat worth $3.5K?

It's a '53 Century. These pics are from 2005/

These are current pics up close with my cell phone.

Bow is coming apart a little on it's port side if you look close.

Couple of spot like this on the hull, all above the water line though.

Here is the transom. The bottom and transom have been replaced, so I was told.

The bottom is suppose to be a "no soak" bottom, overlapping planking I was told. Looks solid form inside but I forgot to take a pic. The seats are there and it has the 283 Flagship marine engine that was winterized about 5 years ago, been inside since. All hardware is there but needs to be re-chromed.

Your thoughts and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35455

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes as long as it is complete and all her original hardware is there including the motor. If no motor is available I would estimate $1500 to $2,000
Some boats are only good enough to be pattern boats and you should see the price people get for them. It depends on how rare, what work is needed and how original. The final outcome on value depends on how precise the restoration is.
Are you thinking about this one?

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35457

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jim,
I am. It'll be the first planked boat I've done. Just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. You beat me to the thread completion, but the engine is there and he has the title for it. The steering wheel is not original but all the hardware is there. He even got ahold of the original bow light, stern light mast and the Century port and starboard plaques, along with some rubrail tips that were already re-chromed. He said he will also throw in the wood needed to replace what's bad.

Bob

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35459

Hey Bob, IMHO of which I have none, I'd show up with 30cnotes and see what happens.As with most things it's worth what you're willing to pay for it. I'd much rather work on wood than glass. Doesn't look like it's in bad shape.

Joe

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35481

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bob,
I am also a rep over at Antique Boat America and if you need parts for the Century I am sure Peter will have what you need. If you move forward on her just take your time with the project be sure to get a book or two and do some reading on fasteners and techniques.

If you can remove the engine etc... flip it over and check all your fasteners. being a lake boat I am sure you will find your share of them that will spin in place. The wood gets sick around the fastener. Sometimes you can go up a size or two or increase the length a little but if you find a whole frame with spinners then you need to consider replacing the frame or sistering it.
Time consuming work but it is easy work (even if you can not flip the boat) just crank the tunes and think happy thoughts of the ride once it is done. Here are a few pictures of how far I took my 1959 Owens Flagship apart. We had BIG Holes In the Bottom!!! it took me all summer to do everything I did.
Centuries are some of my favorite boats.
PS Please do not shove 3M 5200 in the seams!! fasten her well and then if you do not epoxy the bottom use Davis Slick Seam then apply your bottom paint. It is wax based what ever you put into the seam will squeeze out as she swells easily and will not be permanent. Do NOT use stainless fasteners I do not care what anyone says use good bronze. I know it is a staggered seam bottom but she will need to swell a little. Also be sure you re pack the the rudder post and shaft log bladders with fresh flax.

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35485

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
bob, just my 2 cents. if you have to pull it along distance put it on a trailer with fenders, or install fenders on that trailer. you can do alot of damage to a wood hull with all the sh** that the tires will sling up off the road. looks like a nice cruiser. frog

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35487

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..BOB: There was a great wood buying article this past week on Woody Boater, if you are going to get into this arena. Everyone will
welcome younger guys into wood boats.. Go slow , learn alot , ask questions to people you trust,, etc. Prices will be higher,, hard to find a complete boat under $5k. . Really inquire on the bottom.
Shops are quoting $1,K per foot to replace. .. Great if you have a
source for re-chrome, that is quite expensive now adays.

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35491

Since it is a Century, I'd say yes, it is worth the price. As someone else already said, offer $3k. The tires on that trailer have to be rotten and believe me, I know from experience that they will blow out. I'm about finished with a Glen-L runabout and the tip about bronze screws is a good one.

2011 MALAHINI LAUNCHED 28 SEPT 2011

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35494

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I talked to a guy that owns a marina just a mile or so down the road. He's done a lot of wood boats, mostly large cabin cruisers, 1938 Egg Harbor etc. I told him about the boat and he said $3,500 and you don't have it yet?!?!!? LOL Well that wasn't the deciding factor, I did call Jim real quick also. After talking to the wife a little more I decided what the heck, the odds of finding another woody of that era, intact with all hardware and the extra Mahogany to do her were going to be slim to none, especially at that price. The gentleman, is a vary nice guy and he's going to make sure the lights, bearings and tires are in great shape for me to bring her home, four hours round trip.

Jim, thanks for all the advice. I forgot to ask him about the heads but will the next time I talk to him. I had heard that about the stainless verse bronze. The marina owner also told me to never use the 5200 for fastening between wood because it does shrink a little and leaves small pockets that can fill with water and rot the wood. He recommends the Interlux compounds. Beautiful Owens by the way but don't envy that job! I'm going to go over the bottom real good once I get her home. It was suppose to have been done but I'm going to go over her real good anyway. I know there are a few fasteners loose on the bow and gunwales. I believe that is the problem with the bow popping up. I think the wood underneath maybe soft or it just worked loose.

Suggestions for books?

Frog, Thanks hadn't even thought of that. That's a long trip with many of possibilities that I don't want to even imagine! :S

Split, thanks I'll check that article out. Thanks for the "younger" compliment. I'm 51 in August but I keep thinking I'm 20 something, body disagrees! :woohoo: The current owner says he has a few connections for reasonable re-chroming.

I'm definitely going to take my time on this one.

Bob

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35502

Bob I did a lot of things the wrong way when I did my Owens but it came out good and I enjoyed it. Helped maintain my sanity while going through treatment. Check out the Antique Boat Center and if you have any questions the guy that runs the restoration dept, Joel, is more that happy to ans questions. It's also where I got all my supplies. Joe

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35536

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Joe, I'll check it out.

Bob

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35584

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Go Bob.
Wooden Century. How cool is that?
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35595

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Neil,
Yeah, decided I can't pass it up so called him last night and said yes. Should pick it up soon. He's going to go over the trailer and make sure she's road worthy so I can bring her home with no incidents. He's a great guy and has a lot of cool toys. 1985 18" Donzi among other things!!!!!!!!!!! It's for sale also but there's no way the wife will let me get it. :(

Bob

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35905

Hi Bob, Congratulations! Woodies are the greatests. As far as books I would suggest Don Daneneburg's on runabout restoration. The other thing I would look at when you pick it up is the keel. Back then, the way they would change the oil is just let it out in the bilge. That may not be a biggie for a glass boat, but for wooden boats you end up with an oil-soaked keel. Once it gets oil-soaked wood nothing and I mean nothing sticks to it. You may get a year out of the 5200, but it will release. Just something to keep in mind during negotiations.

Jerri

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35936

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jerri,
Thanks bud good info there. Didn't know that about the oil changing. The bottom was suppose to have been done already not sure when and if they did anything with the keel I'm assuming they didn't. Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll check it out. I'm pretty psyched. hoping to pick it up this weekend.

Bob

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35959

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hope it works out for you Bob, that sure is a beauty! (Or it will be, you know what I mean.) :laugh:

Mark

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #35961

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark , me too!

Bob

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #36044

Hi Bob,

No prob.... It was something we learned after we bought a boat with a "new bottom". Bottom was new-they were not fibbing and I truly believe that for the first year after the installation it was fine. Anything is fixable- can't wait to hear about you getting it and If I can answer anything I will.

Jerri

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #37532

Looks like Century boats will rule here for a while. Along with ZIP, tomorrow I have a fellow pulling a mid 40's Century to my shop to give him an estimate for a restoration. Motor is already out and at a motor shop. They are a well made boat. But to Jim's point, I've had a few loose bungs, and when I check the screws below, some are spinners. My friend doesn't want me to get into it, but it needs to be done. I will, with his approval, end up stripping the sides, popping bungs, and checking the screws. Why do it half way. I suspect there may be a frame or two that needs work. Do it now, not when the boat has suffered from not doing it.

I was by Peter Mellon's place near Fishers Landing a couple times in the last few weeks. Some nice candy there.

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 10 months ago #37540

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tell Peter I said Hi. I am a rep for him.
Jim

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 9 months ago #40883

if you're going to start on it right away and stay on it to completion, yes - it's well worth the price. The key is to end up with a finished boat and not have a partially completed project lying around deteriorating! I speak from experience! I was never so excited as when I got my Century palomino and my Chris Craft. I was never so releived as when I sold them uncompleted. I'm old enough that health problems got me so far behind I would never have caught up. Since then, I've sold off my camper, three boats, two motorcycles, five outboards, and I'm finally getting my workload down to a manageable level - ONE fiberglas boat with a LOT of wood trim!
Attachments:

Blest boater

Re:Need an Opinion 12 years 9 months ago #40884

I sure hope no fiberglass was involved in the bottom job!Waterwings wrote:

Jerri,
Thanks bud good info there. Didn't know that about the oil changing. The bottom was suppose to have been done already not sure when and if they did anything with the keel I'm assuming they didn't. Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll check it out. I'm pretty psyched. hoping to pick it up this weekend.

Bob

Blest boater
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady