Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boat Clubs & Shows

Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22623

Hello, I'm fairly new here. I'm a wood guy on a fiberglass forum, never thought I'd see that, but this site is the best I've seen for fans of older outboard speedboats and cruisers from the 50's through early 70's....Anyhow, just wondering, are there any alternative boat shows or groups for owners of wooden outboards other than the big 4 (Chris Craft, Thompson, Lyman & Century).
Not that I don't appriciate seeing these boats at the antique and classic boat shows that I go to, but it gets a bit repetitive seeing one perfect 1950's Chris Craft barrelback mahogany after another, or 20 "showroom condition" Lyman Islanders all white....There were so many interesting outboard boats from the same era...Is there a show or group for those of us who like and rebuild boats from smaller, more offbeat builders?
For those of us who are do-it-your-selfers, and will probably never own a $80,000 restored Century.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22630

Hey. They're going to be those boats at just about every boat show. I just finished a 58 20ft Owens and took it to the Madisonville Wooden Boat festiville here in oct and they had plenty of other makes and models and of course we know how to have a good time down here.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22660

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am in the same "boat" you guys are in. I am a wood boat guy in a fiberglass boat site. Why? Because it is the best site going. I grew up in the '50's and 60's, so my heart is really into outboard powered runabouts. It really makes little difference what material they are made of, it is just the time frame I am locked into. I am about to head the other direction on my '58 Wolverine Plylap and will soon my laying down varnish. All wood was stripped of all varnish and I can't wait to see her completed. I should have her done long before the ice melts and hopefully the '57 Evinrude 35hp will be completely restored as well by then.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22665

Hey Dave, have any photos of her? I looked at a wagemaker wolverine up in the Cleveland, OH area, but it had a big sag on the starboard side where the owner let it sit with rainwater in it outside for a few years...Wasn't sure how to scarf a new piece of plywood into a preformed plywood type hull. They must have offered 20 or more layouts for that model as I've never seen 2 the same.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22667

Hey Joe, where is Madisonville? I'm in North Carolina right on the South Carolina line. Also, is that an Owens without the cabin top?

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22668

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
We've been loading up the FG Calendar (see button in the tool bar above) with all the boat shows, meets, and events we know about. Would be glad to load any additional you may have, please submit them or give me the info and I'll do it for you. (Still have to load the AOMCI schedule.)

www.fiberglassics.com/calendar/month.calendar/2011/01/05/-.html

Mark

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22669

It's in La. on the Northsore of Lake Ponchartrain across from New Orleans. That pic is towards the end of re-finishing. Either on this section or merc outboards my video 12/10/10 shows it running. I can e-mail pics of process, too hard to do that many here. You can google the boat fest and check it out.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22673

Ahh, you're in N.O. area. Always enjoyed visiting that place!
I'll check out the show info online.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22701

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have some of these pictures, that were taken virtually on the day I brought her home. Now she is all appart, but getting closer to heading the other direction as all parts are about to get varnished. Maybe actually start varnishing this week. You are right about Wolverines. It seems I have never seen 2 alike, especially in the last years of production.[img]http://[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/Dave45871/Boat/100_0860.jpg [/img]

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22717

Hi Carson!

You are right where the action is for boat shows. The Blue Ridge Chapter of the ACBS has shows in:
Charlotte, NC
Lake Keowee, SC
Hartwell, GA (near SC)
Lake Chatuge (North GA Mtns)
We're going to Lake Lure in October and we're trying to get one in Lake Burton for July.
In April we're going to Camp LeJeune to take the soldiers for rides-it should be a blast.

There is a really fun show that the Bluegrass Chapter of the ACBS has in September, Lake Cumberland that has a good mix of glass and wood. Herters, Lone Star and then some of the standard woodies.

As each year goes by I'm seeing more glass at the shows and it's bringing a fun mix to wood-wood-wood.

Welcome aboard! Jerri

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22719

I'll have to get back to you all as I am involved with many of these organitions, but have alot to get done right now!

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22721

Hi Jerri,
Thank you so much for the info.
Do they have a show schedule up yet for 2011?
How do you join?
Thanks,
Tom

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22784

I'll have to get back to you all as I am involved with many of these organitions, but have alot to get done right now!

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22793

Come to the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally 24-26 June 2011 at Marinette, WI. Open to any and all vintage boats no matter the maker, material or era. NO judging and NO awards. Lots of time to get to know one another, go for boat rides, and eat and drink. Focusing upon Thompson; Thompson of NY; Thompson by Chris-Craft; Thompson Royal-Craft; Cruisers, Inc.; T & T Boats; Grady White Boats, etc.... but open to all. Watercraft such as canoes, duck boats, row and motor boats, speed boats in outboard and inboard/outboard.

There is a new Chetek boat show at Chetek, WI whcih will be in its second year in 2011.

The Wooden Canoe Heritage Association has an annual gathering of canoes in New England area. www.wcha.org

There are plenty of shows that are more than just inboard varnished wooden runabouts.

Andreas

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22822

Hi Tom,

To join the Blue Ridge Chapter, go to blueridgechapter.org. Or go to the ACBS website and look up your nearest chapter. There is one in the NC triangle. We would love to have you join the Blue Ridge Chapter, it's a WONDERFUL group.

I'm not sure the calender is posted on blueridgechapter.org yet, but here it is:

April 8th weekend - Camp Lejeune NC

April 15th weekend - Hartwell, GA

May 14th weekend- Lake Sinclair, GA (Eatonton GA)

June 10 weekend- Lake Chatuge, GA (Hiawasee, GA/NC)FUN show

We're going to try to do something at Lake Burton, GA in July or Aug.

Sept. 9th weekend Charlotte, NC (Lake Norman, Queens Landing) Another FUN show

Sept. 17th weekend. Lake Oconee, GA (Eatonton, GA) we motor around family's with kids that have Brain Tumors, or are a part of Make a Wish foundation. If anyone can make this one, it's fantastic and we always need more boats. Your face will hurt from smiling so much.

Sept. 23 weekend. Blue Grass Chapter of ACBS will have a show at lake Cumberland. You will see more outboard motors and glass at this show.

Oct. 1 weekend - Lake Lure, NC.

In addition to a couple of the "standard" wood boats, I'm working on a 1957-58 (not sure!) Sea Mac outboard. Don't this this will be one you'll see every day. Wait till you see the color WHOO HOOO!

Oh man! Did I ramble......
Look forward to seeing you this year.

Jerri

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22824

Tom, I forgot to say. I too came to the fiberglassics site and found the only information around on my little wooded Sea Mac. Now we have our own group!

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22854

Hi Andreas
It's a bit of hike from North Carolina, but my brother has a 60's Thompson in Toldeo, Ohio, that's a lot closer to those shows.
Let me see if I can get him to let me take his boat over to WI for the weekend.
Thanks,
Tom

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22855

Hi Jerri,
Thank you for the info.
I am going to join the Blue Ridge Chapter, since most of those events are pretty close to me.
Someone told me there was a big show every year in Georgetown, SC, but I don't know when it is.

As far as this site...I know, can you believe it? Wood guys have to go to a fiberglass site to get info and chat in a forum.
But you have to admit, there is some cool looking vintage glass out there...sad thing is I used to go out back behind the marina with my dad and strip hardware and usable teak off this stuff before the yard burned it or bulldozed it & now it's all collectable!
Who would have thunk??? Maybe they should do an offshoot of this site aimed at wood outboards.
Later,
Tom

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22856

Nice Wolverine! I was reading in "The Real Runabouts IV" that in the mid 50's, these were offered in all kinds of colors...pink, yellow, blue but I've only seen them natural like yours, I think that fad wore out pretty fast!

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22928

Tom, that's FANTASTIC! I think you'll really enjoy our group, they are a lot of fun and extremely helpful. What kind of boat is yours? And are you close to any of the shows?

I'm on a fair about of boat forums, it seems that each one has something unique to offer. I think I found this forum when we were looking at purchasing our Redfish Shark and found that the forum was a wealth of information for our Sea Mac and Duracraft (Aluminum) too.

Can't wait to see you at the shows.

Jerri

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22988

Hey Jerri,
I live in Charlotte so I am right at Lake Norman, I actually have an 18' Herreshoff Cat Boat that I dock on the lake.
I'm working on refurbishing a 1959 16'Barbour "Silver Clipper" that was built in New Bern, NC. She's labstrake, total mahogany over mahogany frames. Pictures are on my member page.
I should have her ready for launch in early summer.
I was eyeing a 1961 Shoup "Presidential" 18' ft., built in Ashosck, NC...not sure if the wife would handle me with 3 boats though....
Later,
Tom

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22989

Charlotte, wonderful! Then hopefully we'll see you at Queens Landing Sept. 8-11, 2011. That's a fun show, Thursday night is a welcoming party at Crussin' Classics, Friday we get in the water and play around, Saturday is a public show. Saturday night has typically been a cocktail party on the lake and Sunday a poker run. There are also antique cars shown.

We have a lot of lapstrake Sea Skiffs in our group, it's going to be great to see a lapstrake that is varnished, not stained.

Terry and I started this in 2008 with a Gar Wood. The Gar Wood needed some hull work and had a habit of taking on way too much water. So in 2009 we purchased a Sea Skiff so that we would have a boat to play with while the Gar Wood was being restored. - LOVE lapstrakes now. Last year we just went nuts on buying boats. We fould a Aristocraft 19' as a yard sale find. Then a friend sold us 3 little boats: Wood (Sea Mac), Aluminum (Duracraft) Fiberglass (Redfish Shark).

Thankfully both DH and I have this same boat obsession!

Can't wait to see your boat in September.

jerri

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22992

Wow! Where do you store all of those boats?
Are you in N.C.?
I will be at the Lake Norman show for sure.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #22993

Good Morning!

Where do we store them.... sigh-we were so short-sighted! We built a boat garage for the Gar Wood-thought that would be the only boat. LOL! The Gar Wood is down in Florida and will be there for a number of months more. The Sea Skiff and the Sea Mac are in the garage and this year we purchased one of those "temporary" buildings. All the other boats are packed in there.

We live in Ellijay, GA. It takes us about 5 hours to get to the Charlotte show, but it's well worth it.

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #23074

Hi Tom and all,

Wouldn't you know, the ACBS Blue Grass Chapter show Sept. 2010 made it as a multi-page spread in the January-February 2011 Classic Boating magazine.

Look at how many outboards that were photographed.

Pretty cool!

jerri

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #23097

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Carson / TOM: WELCOME, would like to see more of your stuff / stash. I am in Eastern TENN. Gathering of us outboard guys are going to have a expanded "In Water" show this year May 20 - 21 in South Knoxville , /LOUISVILLE area. This is less than a mile from the Allison factory . Some restored wood alwys there. Feather Craft AL club shows , & now some of us GLASSPAR fans will display.

. I had / restored one of those PINK Wolverines in VOL IV of Speltz. Sold at auction 1993 era.

. Jerri " Any link to the "Classic Boat Mag issue .??

Re:Boat Clubs & Shows 13 years 4 months ago #23113

Hi Larry,

I just PM'ed you. Classic Boating doesn't have a website, there address is:

Classic Boating
280 Lac La Belle Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066-1648
262-567-4800

I think the subscription is $28 per year. Well worth it in my opinion. I have thought about getting two subscriptions so DH and I don't have to duke it out for first dibs when it arrives! :lol:

The Knoxville show sounds like fun, Maybe I'll have my SeaMac done by then. Where do I get more info?

Jerri

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)