Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: JavLyn Boat, Fiberglass over wood.

JavLyn Boat, Fiberglass over wood. 7 years 4 months ago #128449

I have recently purchased a 14' Jav Lyn boat. The boat is Mahogany with fiberglass on outside of hull. Interior including seats is all finished mahogany. The outside is also painted with exception of deck. The previous owner sanded some of the fiberglass, but not through to the wood. The deck has some slight cracking of the fiberglass, but still tight to wood. Can I just re glass and paint the hull, or will the cracks still be seen. I want to preserve the look of the boat. Also, how do I go about refinishing the interior. The wood all seems to be in very good condition, but finish is poor. I need some advise on this before I get started. The boat came with a 62 85 hp six, but the ads that I have seen show a Mark 58 motor. Would the 85 be too much. I do have a Mark 58 I could use. It did have ride guide steering. Thanks for any help.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JavLyn Boat, Fiberglass over wood. 7 years 1 week ago #130932

I think you might consider going with a Mark 75 or 78 because the left hand turning prop will match the port side steering your hull was originally set up for.

Eric

JavLyn Boat, Fiberglass over wood. 7 years 6 days ago #130960

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Very cool hull. Find it had to believe it can't take the bigger engine. I love it! How about the wood trailer!!!

JavLyn Boat, Fiberglass over wood. 7 years 4 days ago #130984

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
For the deck, one way would be to sand into the cracks, fill with an epoxy paste mix and sand flush. If you then paint over it using a high build primer, the cracks will not be visible. I had very similar boat once with the same deck cracking issue. The FG cracked because the fore deck had too little bracing and it would flex whenever someone sat on it or crawled over it. I solved that by gluing some plywood strips to the underside of the deck. As for the interior, if it is mahogany and in good condition, just sand it down and re-varnish it or coat it with epoxy first and then varnish it or paint it.

JavLyn Boat, Fiberglass over wood. 6 years 8 months ago #132654

Good stuff you got there, buddy. Just work on refining the woodwork. It has a nice hull, so I think your effort will be worth it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)