• Page:

TOPIC: Snowco trailer

Snowco trailer 13 years 8 months ago #13737

• CAT*FIN*k
  • CAT*FIN*k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The Manta Ray came on a Snowco trailer model #ST-750 . While workin' on the boat I've also been workin' on the trailer. The 1st 3 brands of strippers used, cleaned the paint and that's about all. Found Ace Hardware brand heavy duty stripper work very well.

After stripping and buzzin' with a grinder I coated with Permetex Rust Treatment. Never used this before, used to use Permetex Extend on all frames, but it is no longer made. The Rust Treatment does not work near as well, had surface rust start in a few weeks. I sanded and another coat of Rust Treatment then primed.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 8 months ago #13873

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
While waiting on interior parts for the Manta Ray to arrive I've been gettin' some work done on the trailer. This morning between rain I got some chromie-go-fasters fitted.

Attachments:

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 8 months ago #14228

darn that looks cool,just one word of caution,i had a hoda 750 4 cylinder chopper,and i found out,way out in the booonies that the guy who owned it before me had a bolt down through the tail light and it worked fine with just me on it,but i had my 99 pound wife on the back when we went across a set of railroad tracks,it split my tire in two,what a ride that was,lol.
but it looks great,i wish i had thought of that,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 8 months ago #14238

Lookin good. What's the chrome vertical rod with small light on the fender? Fenders steel or glass?

I have great success with NAPA's rust treatment, liquid or spray, been using it a long time. I use the brush on liquid usually, but used the spray on an old axle a few days ago, did a great job. Of course, I wire brushed it first, cleaned it with acetone, then used NAPA's Kleanz-Easy before the spray Rust Treatment. 3 thin coats, black axle ready for JB Weld!

Boy, that trailer looks like a Mastercraft. Snowco huh? Any idea where they were made?

Keep up the great work! It's gonna be beautiful when she's done.

Frank

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 8 months ago #14244

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
John, I should be good on tire clearance. Learned about clearance early...lol now. My 1st suspension mod was a Watts linkage I made in high school metal shop for my `68 Coronet. All was good until I got paid and filled the gas tank. The center pivot on the linkage was nicking the lip seam of the tank and cracked the tank open. All it took was to grind off a thread on the pivot. The gas tank was harder to fix, found a patch made of fiberglass & matt stopped the leak.

Frank, The small light is a new (LED) reproduction of old aftermarket bumper mount turn signal. I've come to think of them as "cleaner fish" swimming along the manta ray. Pictured in the down position, the extend to 18". Used some brass lamp parts to change the mount. The shaft can be removed to mount the light only. The fenders are steel. I had really good luck in the past using Permitex Extend on frames, not so impressed with thier Rust Treatment. After the 2nd treatment the gray primer started turning orange in 3 days. Thinkin' bout getting it grit blasted before painting. Snowco trailers are still made in Omaha NE, the ID plate is rivited to the aft crossbar. Plate reads SNOWCO Omaha 12, Nebraska...model & serial numbers.
Attachments:

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 7 months ago #14723

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I finally got all the new rollers on. The old flat roller and brackets were real drag man. These new ones really hold the boat snug.

Got the bright idea to load the boat on the trailer myself..tweeked the ol' back out. Goter' on then bought a winch...stupid!
Attachments:

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 7 months ago #14743

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I see you sprung the extra $ for the nice poly rollers, deluxe CF! Don't think I've ever seen a cross bunk like the one in the back, transom support? It's coming together nicely bud. (Watch that back, better take it easy for a few days, right!?)

Mark

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 7 months ago #14992

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The poly rollers were just a couple $s more each here. They really seam to grip better. The trailer had the brace on the transom. It supports the transom and help center the boat The old wood was rotted so I made a temp from scrap 2x4. I did add one of these pads to the top.

Picked up a couple extra to do a couple more tunnel supports when I can get some brackets made.
Attachments:

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 7 months ago #14994

cat...where did you get those rollers. spefically the stern ones with the lip on each side. ron

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 7 months ago #14995

PC1000 wrote:

Lookin good. What's the chrome vertical rod with small light on the fender? Fenders steel or glass?

I have great success with NAPA's rust treatment, liquid or spray, been using it a long time. I use the brush on liquid usually, but used the spray on an old axle a few days ago, did a great job. Of course, I wire brushed it first, cleaned it with acetone, then used NAPA's Kleanz-Easy before the spray Rust Treatment. 3 thin coats, black axle ready for JB Weld!

Boy, that trailer looks like a Mastercraft. Snowco huh? Any idea where they were made?

Keep up the great work! It's gonna be beautiful when she's done.

Frank

frank... what are you using the jb weld on? ron

Re:Snowco trailer 13 years 7 months ago #14997

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ron...all the Stoltz rollers came from BOW. 5 1/2" in the front and 10" for all the rest. The "transom pad" from BOW is made by Tie Down Engineering, not listed on BOW web site tho. They come in 2", 3", 4" widths. Jamestown Distributors sell them, www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=14661&familyName=Tie+Down+Trailer+Keel+Pad Should be able to get thru any marine supply the 3" is part number 86291.

Re:Snowco trailer 10 years 2 months ago #90414

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Found this on ebay and could not resist
Attachments:

Re:Snowco trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90572

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
pc1000, I have the same trailer, and it still has the snowco sticker on it. next time iam in the storage shed i'll see if it says where it was made. say cat, your doing such a good job on your trailer that I may have to fix mine up also. frog I checked and they were made in Omaha nebraska

Re:Snowco trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90649

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanx frog, trailers need a little of the love along with the boats they carry. I got a thing for lights, the final may be different. Mine had a metal data plate on the back cross member.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)