• Page:

TOPIC: Holsclaw trailer tribute site

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 6 years 2 months ago #135459

• bmoreau
  • bmoreau's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
For those who are interested in more info re: these well made trailers check out the link below. The info on these pages can assist with the restoration of your trailer, original prices, photos of the original shop in Evansville, Indiana, parts for sale, trailers for sale & advice (obtained or given).......check it all out (it's free). Happy boating to all.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winwhiz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 6 years 2 months ago #135461

Rather then a link to FB, post info here.....

Great site w a lot of vintage boat, boating, trailer AND motor info all in 1 place.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 6 years 2 months ago #135470

• bmoreau
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi JB,
I wish I had more time to open up into many blogs & do this but FB is the easiest & gets the best draw, so for now we'll stick with that one location. Thanks for your reply. (Bob)

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 6 years 2 months ago #135471

Posting the FB page here once, in this topic, was enough Bob.

As an active boating forum and numerous boating FB page user, forums are a much better format to discuss and rebuild boats, motors and trailers.

If someone just wants to be "liked", FB is absolutely the way to go. Important technical info is often lost in a sea of

nice job, neat boat and looks great posts

simply poor advice or derogatory comments similar to

that motor is best used as an anchor, worthless

If you'd spend some time here, you'll find lots of like minded folks that are a great resource and are extremely helpful.

Good luck w your FB group and come back any time, but please remember this IS a forum for talking about old boats, motors and trailers.......
EDIT: You posted while I was typing this reply. Biggest draw? Your group is closed and only has 30 members. Fiberglassics is significantly bigger....

Having just started the group about a month ago, it may have some good info, parts or trailers for sale, but probably isnt yet a great repository of vast amounts of info, parts and etc.

Easiest? Perhaps for you to 'host'.....

As before, good luck w your group, but try to give FG a go too...... and try to avoid multiple posts of your FB link in numerous topics

Heres a link to FGs Holsclaw linrary page
www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Holsclaw
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmoreau

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 5 years 7 months ago #137350

• bmoreau
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok...so 6+ months in & ~120 members. It's closed only because I can't deal with the knuckle-heads out there streaming. If the potential member decides not to answer the 3 simple questions re: trailers their request is denied. I was having a difficult time accessing this blog from my phone to attach photos of my restoration project (a 1958 Holsclaw ST-150 boat trailer)......any hints are greatly appreciated. I also made contact with the actual sales manager (Fred Herrman) from 1974 who answered many questions & also put me in touch with the original owners daughter who is now in her 80's. Lots of neat info & she enjoys see my photos of my last 3 Holsclaw trailers......tons of neat history about the family & their trailer products.
Happy boating.

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 4 years 10 months ago #139914

I have a Holsclaw trailer postedfor sale on glass infields. Call me if your interested 5095402121 thanks Brett

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 4 years 5 months ago #141227

Just finishing restoring my A-2000 Boat Trailer that our family has own since new (1968) Here are some pics
Attachments:

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 4 years 5 months ago #141228

• bmoreau
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice looking rig, "67 Thompson". I had no idea Holsclaw offered a leaf spring boat trailer in the late 60's. I thought those weren't available until the late 70's. Great job on the colors used. The fenders should have had square cut holes for the bolts (as they originally used stove bolts)......A++ job either way.....

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 4 years 5 months ago #141229

Thanks . The holes and bolts in our fenders are the original set up . Not carriage bolts .Just round holes in fenders . I have a original picture to prove it. I have a friend that just bought a 1963 Thompson and a 1963 Holsclaw Trailer and his set up in the same way . ( hex head bolts with washers . I believe the earlier trailers did use carriage bolts but don't know when the change over was . All of the bolts and washers were originally Galvanized , but when I decided to redo the trailer i went with Stainless Steel . So mine now has Stainless Steel hardware is not original ,but better suits me because I use it in salt water . Yes this trailer did come with Leaf springs but not shocks . I also went with powder coating instead of painting it .

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 4 years 5 months ago #141230

• bmoreau
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
very nice indeed...My UT-50 & ST150 trailers both have round holes as well. May just my motorcycle trailers are the ones with stove/carriage bolts.....How crusty did your look when you bought it? (Bob)

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 4 years 5 months ago #141231

My father bought it new in June of 1968 when I was in high school . We used it on a regular bases until a couple of years ago when it showed a need for a complete restoration . Took some while for some research of how i was going to go about it . Got the plan into motion and proceeded. All of the roller shafts on the outside are also Stainless Steel . Even the Hubs are Stainless Steel . Was able to save the keel rollers too. Besides all of the bolts being now Stainless Steel ,I did go with LED lights. It has been a fun project. My boating friends tease me and say you don't plan on putting that in the water . They are just jealous that they don't have a buckle trailer for easy convenience in launching . Holsclaw Trailers are the best . To bad they don't make the buckle trailers any more . That's because the Government got involved . Their argument is do to safety . .

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 11 months ago #142214

Beautiful restoration “67 Thompson”. I have a 1966 model D-1250 that I’ve just started to restore. This trailer has been in my family since new. I’m very interested in knowing what color blue/tan you painted your trailer. It obviously looks like you applied it with a spray gun. Also, where did you locate the roller replacements? I’ve been looking at Eastern Marine. I believe mine is a buckle trailer also. Not exactly sure what that means? I never noticed my uncle or Dad (previous owners) use this feature on the trailer.
Attachments:

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 11 months ago #142236

Thanks for the nice remarks. Please email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I can send you my phone # or you can email me your phone # . To much info pass on to put in an email . Your trailer has the great makings to bring back to original condition . I am located on the west coast .

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 11 months ago #142359

The Trailer was powder-coated . Drylac Brand . RAL 1015 Beige and RAL 5001 Blue . Hopefully that helps . Good Luck

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 10 months ago #142387

I wrote down the wrong RAL# for the Ivory Color . It should have been RAL 1014 , Not RAL 1015

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 9 months ago #142762

Just finished my 1977 Holsclaw D-1250A restoration. Big thank you to 67 Thompson for all the guidance and resources. Another Holsclaw trailer saved!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 67 Thompson

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 9 months ago #142774

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Newer than new. Very sharp!

Dr.Go!

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 7 months ago #143272

• bmoreau
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Amazing job on your Holsclaw. Consider joining our group of many with the same love for these vintage rigs. This is a closed group on Facebook & most of us on there are only there because of this group page. We have been able to obtain past blank Holsclaw ID tags since most of these tags faded over time. Again superb job & if ever you need parts certainly let me know.....
Bob (Holsclaw)
Below is my very 1st boat restoration completed about 10 years ago (SW-150 from 1958) & used the paint made by the original company in Evansville (still in business today)...Red Spot Paint Co. The original paint was baked on at their trailer factory at over 800 degrees. This is why many trailers have stood the test of time (ie, mother nature).....Lots of history about this amazing family on our site as well. Hope you consider joining.......
Attachments:

Holsclaw trailer tribute site 3 years 4 months ago #143711

I have a Holsclaw trailer that is original to my 1970 GlasPly.

The trailer is in functional but in need of love. I'm hoping to find a shop that I can take it to and have it completely gone through and restored.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6592 guests and one member online