Finished painting house to keep the wife happy so now I can get started on my project . Had a long weekend so I got quiet a bit done . Already had taken the top of and removed fuel tank. Removed the floor transom and stringer cleaned everything up and letting it dry out for a couple of days.
Also this winter I bought an industrial sewing machine so I could do my own interiors . Rebuilt the rear bench seat and replaced foam and sewed up new cushions only made a few mistakes but I think they look pretty good for first effort .Started on front seats but they are proving to be a little harder seeing I have nothing for patterns. Was a little of when doing buttons on lower center cushion so will redo.
Been working on the floor , glued two pieces of 3/4 ply together for center beam, glued in place with mixture of milled fiber and epoxy and then used glass and carbon fiber cloth to seal and cover beam in place. On this hull I have been using Marinegaurd 8000 epoxy that I got from Amazon , very similar to West System epoxy but a lot cheaper , also had a roll of carbon cloth time X at work so I was able to get some for the floor and transom.
next cut 1/2 ply sealed bottom with epoxy and glued in place , let that dry then cut holes and used Total boat two part foam and filled the floor ,then used some carbon and a layer of glass to seal and reinforce floor.
I'm restoring a 1979 CVX 16 also. Just started a couple of nights ago. Found it at a thrift store. Picked it up for $260 with trailer and Mercury 1150.
Can you share details on how you split the cap and hull, specifically on the back of the boat. Looking at the transom, I need to cut the glass under the splash well, and possibly on the outside at the rub rail?
Any tips and advice appreciated. Also, more pics please!!!
Hi fasteddy hope to get my hull out of the garage tomorrow as the weather has finally warmed up today . Will try to get a picture of weâre I cut the transom , under the front deck there were three support that I cut and under the splash well you will have to cut . This is the 8th hull that I have split and I have to say this was the nicest and easiest to split , the rub rail and the deck was joined with counter sunk screws , no rivets. Looks like you got a pretty good deal if you also got that trailer , weâre I am that would be $800.00 . How is the interior ? I have one seat left to redo will try to get a picture later tonight. Good luck with your restore.
that seat looks great. I'm inspired on the interior.
My interior, the bumpers(?) on the sides and on the dash are there for templates. The rear bench cushion was also included, but again, template only. The front seats were not included, nowhere to be found. So I will be doing 100% of the "cabin" for seating.
Eight hulls split, and this was the easiest, thats encouraging. I cut the three tabs you mentioned for the front deck, thanks for that advice. Will remove the rub rail and prepare for the separation at the transom....
Thinking of using an acrylic urethane paint from TCP Global , they have some real nice candy metallic colours and the price seams good. Has any body used this paint before and how was it . Hope it would be the same as Imoron but at better price.
Hodgify, can you tell me, on the transom, under the splash well, where exactly did you cut, and separate?
Attaching two pics of my CVX 16. The transom shows cracked/separated glass. Under the splash well, I have cut most of that black strip of glass across the bottom, and on both sides. The final 3"-5" up in the back is difficult to get to.
What or how did you do this? Looking at your pics, did you slice the splash well, and then later remove the remaining portion of the splash well?
I have been lucky that most hulls that I split had transom that were so wrotten that they came apart easy. What I would do is in the second picture I would cut along the lower red line of the red box and up the two sides , on the outside in the first picture I take a chisel and pry bars and loosen as much of the lip as I can with out doing to much damage . I would then start to split the hull starting at the front , see how far you canât split and put a 2x4 across to keep it apart and put some pressure on what is left holding the transom together and then use chisels and pry bars to finish splitting any of the glass that is still holding it together. Good luck
Those seats are beautiful, look comfy. Really difficult to do that design, Great job!
I have a suggestion to help separate the top. I have an old screw jack that works to push the top up gently then put the 2x4's between the two halves. Something similar from your car would work.
now that summers over its time to get back to work on the CVX . Lucky I have a friend that owns a marina , and he has a rotisserie for working on hulls . First time I have been able to flip a 16ft boat on my own. Hope to start sanding and repairing a couple cracks tomorrow .Would like to get bottom painted be for the snow flies. Heres some pictures of the flip.
Now that the hull is flipped I took a 2 inch angle grinder and ground out all the stress cracks in the bottom, after grinding and cleaning I mixed epoxy resin with 1/4 inch carbon milled fiber , I find the epoxy does not like soaking into fiber glass mat that's why I prefer the milled fiber. I then spread and fill ground areas . After curing for a few days I sand smooth and then fill and imperfections with bondo . Will be spending the next week or two sanding and smoothing the bottom for primer. heres some pictures.
I got the bottom primed last week , used speedokote urethane primer I bought from amazon for $75.00 . Went on nice and sanded easily . Got it masked up and applied s\the stripes on the side, used a firemist red acrylic urethane paint I bought from TCP Global , paid $129.00 for a gallon with hardner . Paint sprayed on nice and has nice shine , will try to get pictures tomorrow if we do not get lake effect snow tonight.