Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1976 Glassmaster needs flr can i do it myself ???

1976 Glassmaster needs flr can i do it myself ??? 13 years 1 week ago #30712

hi im new to this site my boat a 76 glassmaster 16' was very nice back in the day well when i was a kid(im 26 now)anyway was last used n 90 or 91 then mu uncle let it sit outside since,then i bought it n 08 the flr is soft all the way dwn the middle have been quoted upto 1800 at fiberglass shop to redo to me thts high can i do it myself i have nvr done one before i think the transom is good i have another post in the mercury outpost about the motor 71 80hp thts locked up i think any help on either boat or motor will be appreciated they have sentimental value to me thank you all for the help
shane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1976 Glassmaster needs flr can i do it myself ??? 13 years 1 week ago #30720

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Shane. There are several good threads on floor replacement here, just go up to the "Search Forum" box above and type in floor replacement. Another good source of info for beginners I'm told is a book called Runabout Renovation. I recommend doing a lot of research and reading everything you can find on the subject before tackling the project.

Mark

Re:1976 Glassmaster needs flr can i do it myself ??? 13 years 1 week ago #30726

thanks mark im going to look for tht book n also try the search forum a few repair shops said tht to do the flr they have to split the case wht is tht or wht does tht mean??? im kind of intimidated cuz i dnt want to mess up the hull it n perfect shape also the stringers do they have to be replaced? thanks again

Re:1976 Glassmaster needs flr can i do it myself ??? 13 years 6 days ago #30773

if the floor is gone more than likely the stringers are gone also but more importantly is making sure the transom is solid and not rotten . if you are handy replacing transoms, stringers and floors are pretty straight forward . while it is a lot of work, if you do it your self the cost will not even be close to what a boat yard will charge . just the cost of materials .

to split the case might be referring splitting the top from the hull , which is the best way to restore all of the above .

Re:1976 Glassmaster needs flr can i do it myself ??? 13 years 6 days ago #30785

Give some thought about how you are going to support the boat while you are doing the floor and stringer repair. The hull must be supported along its entire length while you remove the floor and stringers. You do not want the hull to warp or sag when you remove the support that the floor gives.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)