• Page:

TOPIC: Do I need a fuel pump?

Do I need a fuel pump? 13 years 3 weeks ago #29421

• Kevin.S
  • Kevin.S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone just wondering If I needed to install a additional fuel pump, I installed a 26 gal. fuel tank in my 77 conqueror the engine I am going to be running is a 88 evinrude 110 vro the length of gas line is roughly 10 ft from where the tank in positioned to the Engine hook up my main concern is whether or not I need to install a pump for that distance... if anyone knows that would be great. thanks again...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Do I need a fuel pump? 13 years 3 weeks ago #29439

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
You shouldn't need to. Hardest thing for pumps is vertical lift in a short distance. Years ago, I converted a 1950's Evinrude 7.5 from pressure tank to fuel pump with standard tank. I used the square Mikuki pump. Initial trial in a barrel failed. Next day I checked Mikuni's site, saw the pump has a "lift" of about 30", and realized I had the tank on the ground, and the height to the transom clamps was 32". Set the tank on an upside down 5 gallon bucket, and she ran great. Lesson learned. Factory fuel pumps, especially in higher hp models like yours that will likely be fed from floor mounted built-in tanks, are stronger and have more "pulling power" than that little Mikuni, that basically wouldn't feed much more than a 25hp motor that feeds from a six gallon tank sitting ON the floor near the motor. Put the tank farther away and the effort to lift fuel gets easier. Ten feet should be no problem at all.

Re:Do I need a fuel pump? 13 years 3 weeks ago #29441

• Kevin.S
  • Kevin.S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sweet thank you, The trial run is tomorrow afternoon we shall see if it holds up.. Im crossing my fingers here It was a pain in the butt bringing a few 20L tanks with me for a few hours of fun in the sun. 26 gal. should get the whole weekend :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)