Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 79 Wellcraft restoration

79 Wellcraft restoration 13 years 4 months ago #21866

Hello board,
Returning here after a year or so ago. Maybe longer because the board has changed.
I just picked up a Wellcraft cuddy cabin, and I need some direction. The hull is in great shape no dings or gouges. It looks like somebody had sprayed clear coat on it, and it is now flaking off. It is only where the yellow stripe is midway on the hull and the full transom. I bought the boat at a great price and I am going to redo the full interior, and make a nice boat out of her.

So my question is what to do for the finish? There are so many top coat systems out there. Where do I start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21869

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome back. Have you got any pics you can share with us of your Wellcraft?

Mark

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21870

Sure, I just got it off of my phone. It is 25' and a beast to tow 150 miles. I was just happy the tires made it, and the lights worked.
Attachments:

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21892

holy heck,and welcome unleaded,it looks like you need some kind of weight distributing hitch,or some air ride shocks,plus a higher hitch,,with it towing bow down like that ill bet it swayed alot,and ill bet it was a beast to handle.
i know with camping trailers they make a weight distributing hitch,im not sure about boat trailers,because i have never towed one that big.
it even had to be tough to steer the suv with all the weight on the rear like that.and by the way thats a very nice boat,congrats,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21895

I just need to move the nose mount back on the trailer after I launch the thing. Which will be in a couple months if all goes well. Whomever owned it didn't know how to load a trailer properly. It wasn't a bad ride home, but it was a lot different than my 17'

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21916

Here is a couple more...

And here is the pile of rotten wood from the back seat. Where to find vinyl
Attachments:

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21937

Try greatlakesskipper on ebay vinyl and other boat acc.
Cool boat. That thing dwarfs your Suburban

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21940

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Unleadedaddict wrote:

I just need to move the nose mount back on the trailer after I launch the thing. Which will be in a couple months if all goes well. Whomever owned it didn't know how to load a trailer properly. It wasn't a bad ride home, but it was a lot different than my 17'

Your last set of rollers should be under the hull where the transom meets it,pretty much the bitter end. If you leave a overhang ,in time your hull will develop a hook.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21942

Mr. 88 wrote:

Unleadedaddict wrote:

Your last set of rollers should be under the hull where the transom meets it,pretty much the bitter end. If you leave a overhang ,in time your hull will develop a hook.

There are no rollers on the rear of the trailer. Just boards. The front mount shows signs of being about a foot back originally. There is about 800lbs of tongue weight which puts an uneven amount of weight on the axles. But all that will be straightened out once I get the boat off it.

I have been all over the net, looking for what is the best thing to do for the finish of the boat. I cannot decide on the product or system for the yellow. I hit the white with my high speed buffer and worked some magic with it. Got the oxidation off and cleaned up decent for a 31 year old boat. I can spray automotive paint very well, I can brush varnish like a pro (wife has a slightly better hand than me) but what is best way to tackle 200+- sq ft of hull?

Re:79 Wellcraft topside paint 13 years 4 months ago #21948

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
UA wrote;

what is best way to tackle 200+- sq ft of hull?

Three square feet at a time. Seriously, there are mixed opinions on how to handle the finish restoration process. (Several good articles in the Research-Restoration button in the tool bar button up in the header of the site, right under the FG logo.)

It all really depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it, and what you expect out of then end result. Some prefer to wet-sand and buff, (You're not out much $, just some time to try it.) Others prefer to go straight for the repaint, then you have to decide which paint to use (single or two part, etc.), and the method (spray, roll and tip).

You've got a great base for your project, (albeit a large one), it will be fun watching the progress as you go along. Keep us posted and share plenty of pics, okay!?

Mark

Wellcraft restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22079

Today I ripped out the interior. I don't like the flowery camper type upholstery on the walls.Which also gave me the chance to dig into the additions on the wiring. Not all bad but there are some cut ends in the harness I would like to check out.

I was also wondering if anyone here had a source for a service manual on this boat. Still am looking for some more input on the finish.

Re:Wellcraft restoration 13 years 3 months ago #23260

Well I pretty much have ripped out everything so I can re-upholster the walls, and varnish the wood. Removed the head, and found an unused macerator pump. I am getting rid of the private head to open up some cabin room. Going to build a folding table to hide it.
Attachments:

Re:79 Wellcraft restoration 13 years 3 months ago #23263

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Wellcraft boats are still very much in business. Here's a link to their home page. Click the "contact us" link and ask about a service manual, maybe find out what finish the boat had originally. www.wellcraft.com/

Re:79 Wellcraft restoration 13 years 3 months ago #24329

Well finally got the vinyl mostly complete. Did all the piping myself. I will get pics of it installed in the v birth tomorrow.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)