Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed

Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14219

Hi gang,

Its been a while sinse I posted here as the project was on hold. However, its back in the runnign again and I have my first technical issue I am unsure of how to deal with.

There are two areas of warping (or bunmps) in the Fiberglas hull. Both are significant enough that they will likely reduce the end result (visually and maybe performance). Especially once painted gloss white, which will make any imperfection stand out.

I am not sure how to tackle them.

The first is some warping on the upper port side (area a bit bigger than a football). Its like two concave depressions either side of a convex lump. There are two screw holes centered on the lump that appear to have had something mounted on the inside. Possibly something that spanned across the boat to the starboard side (i.e. pushing outwards):

The second is also on the port side, underside of the hull between the bow and mid-hull. This one looks like and impact from the inside of the hull (would have to have been a pretty significant impact which has me puzzled). There was an internal support there (now removed and how I discovered there was a glass patch over it), where at some stage the hull had pulled away from the support and the gap glassed over (see second pic showing areas of glass patch and where hull/support had separated but is still under the glass patch).

So my big Q is... how do I deal with these?

Cheers,

AJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14220

For reference here is the whole boat.

Re:Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14239

Very odd that any dents remained, unless they were patched over.
I recently did a repair on mine from a tree falling on it. The hull was pushed out. I parked my truck very close, used a pump jack sideways, and flattened it out as best I could. Then I glassed from the inside. It held.

After looking at your pics more, that forward dent seems to be real puzzling. I see your dilema! Does that area flex at all or is it solid?

As for your inward dents in the stern,, I am not sure how to push them out while you glass the outside. Same process, but what to use to support the jack? I would think you have no choice but to use the other side of the hull, just make sure you spread the load out over a large area.
Or just fill them. Are the dents visible on the inside as well?

Re:Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14255

aaron,as for the outside bump,sand off the paint and make sure it wasnt a patch ,like auto body filler that swealed up and popped out,if it was patched remove it all.
as for the depressions do the same to them,after, you might have to use tiger hair ,then resin putty to finish before primer

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14303

Jim,
That forward dent is pretty solid. However, I think your idea of forcing it back into line and glassing from the inside may be the go. If it holds, I could then also sand down the outside enough to add a layer or two of glass there too. That should work without having to cut the whole section right out.

Maybe some heat application prior and/or after forcing to release some of the pressure (before glassing)?

John,
Definately no fill there as the warping matches on the inside. Along the line of the above solution I was thinking:

1. Zip-tie (though the hull) a strip of say 4x1" to the outside to straighten the section up.
2. Glass the inside.
3. Remove timber, trim/drill out ties and fill the holes (kind of like stitch and glue).

What do you reckon team? Sound like a solution?

Re:Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14334

What type of device are you going to pull with or are the zip ties your pulling mechanism?

I don't think zip ties will do it, but I see where you are going.

Re:Warps/Bumps in hull... advise needed 13 years 8 months ago #14360

Yes Jim, I was thinking the zip-ties may be sufficient. The warping in this aresas is not a solid as that in the bow.

I thought about screws or some other stronger fixing, but once glassed over on the indise, how would I back them out/remove the timber?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)