Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repower my Glassic

Repower my Glassic 4 years 2 months ago #141661

I inherited my father-in-law’s 1965 Sportsman Performer. It’s a 14’ fiberglass, forward controls, windshield, back to back seats, big splash well. Cute as can be with era trim and style. 40hp Evinrude’s Big Twin, electric start, (not electric shift) that hasn’t run in 8 years. With zero motor knowledge I would like to have mounted a new 25hp mercury four stroke.
I’m new here. Will I be kicked out of the Club?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repower my Glassic 4 years 2 months ago #141663

Nice.... I would try and get that motor running. You can get parts for it and that is a great motor. All motors need to be worked on even new ones.
Attachments:

Repower my Glassic 4 years 2 months ago #141666

Wow, Redman, nice boat.
Thanks for the input. In California we’re seeing 2 stroke restrictions on more and more lakes because there’s so many which causes water pollution impact. Fabulous boating on Lake Tahoe is near me (I live in the High Sierra) and they’ve been disallowed there for years. Money wise I would love to pay $600 and keep the style than $6,000 to detract from the style. Is the vintage motor that critical to the classic boat world? Does anyone go that route? The purpose here is its my wife’s dads old boat the she grew up with and she just wants it to run dependably and go for rides. While I would like to do the boat justice.
Thanks
Tony

Repower my Glassic 4 years 2 months ago #141679

It sounds like you don't have much of a choice if you want to use that great looking boat. The main concern is what is best for you. The newer motor should be more dependable and that is important. One thing to think about is what size motor you want to buy. Four stroke motors are heavier and don't have the same power out of the hole, so my thought is a 25 hp might be a little on the small side. Some thing in the 40 to 50 hp range would work well and be comparable to how it performed with the old 40 hp. The fuel efficiency will be a lot better with a 4 stroke. As for what is proper for a motor on an older boat, pretty much anything goes. I have a 1959 Thompson that had a 1963 Merc 85 hp when I bought it. I could still get parts, but they are getting expensive and the motor wasn't quite as reliable as a newer one. I ran across a deal on a 1977 Merc 115 hp and it looks great and is more reliable. There are no rules about what you do to YOUR boat. Do what is best for you.
Bill

Repower my Glassic 4 years 2 months ago #141684

Thanks Bill and I sure like these boats. The 25hp I’m looking at is the same weight as the original 40hp. Yes, pretty certain I’ll be under whelmed with hole performance but Merc touts a 4 blade Renegade prop for this motor that I hope will push her over 20mph. The 30hp is the same motor just mapped for 500 more rpm, 17lbs and $700 more. Didn’t tickle me to go a few mph faster if it’s still slow.. My hull is 500 pounds.
I’m thinking some dark gray highlights in the new seats and Bemimi to try and tie in the black Mercury cosmically. Having fun.
Thanks again,
Tony
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)