• Page:

TOPIC: Volvo throttle friction

Volvo throttle friction 6 years 4 months ago #134670

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
The control on my 2000 Chris-Craft does not stay where you set it. I've been doing some reading, online and in the manual, and there is a friction screw you can adjust. In the diagram below you will see that part 4 is the screw. But in the pictures I've taken there are 2 screws side by side. I THINK screw B is the friction screw is that correct? I've turned both and they seem to turn freely even after 20 turns in both directions.

When I press the throttle only button and move the control to WOT and let go it will quickly pop back to about 1/2 throttle. So I don't think it's the shifter cable. I've attached a picture of the return spring on the carb because it does not look original to me. It seems a bit too beefy and new/shiny to be original.

I know it's not exactly a classic but was hoping someone here has experience with these controls. Thanks!

Shifter:

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

Closeup: Is the friction screw A or B?

File Attachment:

File Name:

Parts Diagram:

File Attachment:

File Name:

Carb spring:

File Attachment:

File Name:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Volvo throttle friction 6 years 4 months ago #134677

One of the screws you indicate may be the neutral "detent" screw that adjust the spring pressure on the shift detent ball.. The easiest way to determine which screw is the friction adjustment is to disconnect the cable from the carburetor, and with the control lever shifted in gear tighten then loosen one screw at a time while working the control lever from idle to full speed.. If the friction control is still working, you'll feel the increased drag on the control lever as the screw is tightened..

If the throttle cable is properly adjusted there's no need for the return spring at the carburetor.. Most of those type of engine controls won't have enough friction "adjustment" to overcome any type of return spring.. I'm thinking someone put the return spring on there to make a homemade "deadman" on the throttle..

I'd remove the spring and adjust the throttle cable at the carburetor so it gently presses the throttle lever against the idle stop screw when the control lever is in neutral.. Do not adjust the cable to apply more pressure than necessary, or you can cause the control lever to bind when passing thru neutral to shift into reverse..

Hope this helps..
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlatshaw

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16, 225HP Chrysler LM318

1978 Chris Craft 251 Catalina Express, 330HP Pleasurecraft 350 (383 Stroker)

Volvo throttle friction 6 years 4 months ago #134716

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, that confirms my suspicions about the spring. I'll remove it and check the idle stop, as you suggest.

I'll also try your suggestion on the friction cable. It seems odd to me that both screws spin freely. I would think there should be some resistance in either direction.

Thanks again.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage