• Page:

TOPIC: Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool

Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41613

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Bought a Trades Pro Multi Tool at Tractor Supply for $39.99. Compare this to a similar tool by Fein for nearly $500. I need to surgically cut out 3 split planks from a 1948 Century Sea Maid that are 1/2" thick and fastened to battens behind them WHICH YOU CAN NOT CUT THROUGH. This tool oscillates at up to 21,000 opm no load. It goes through 1/2" mahogany like a hot knife through butter. I marked the blade with tape at 1/2" depth. Cut is straight and easy to control. Fantastic tool that would work very well on glass projects where cuts are needed, tolerances are tight and you can't use a wrecking tool like a Sawz-All

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41625

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Those multi tools are super. I have a Dremmel Multimax that I used to cut out some 1/4" glass. I used it to to precision cuts when I had to replace a section of the splashrail on my Century Sabre. You can get good tight cuts without the slop of a regular hand saw. Son-in-law used it to install a new plug outlet in his house and cut the hole for the box through the drywall for a perfect fit. The half round blade is starting to dull from use but the choice of blades and sanders is perfect for the jobs on these boats. Just remember to wear the goggles and dust mask, itchy stuff in the eyes and nose make for a few bad nights.

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41632

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Agree. PPE in all we do. Saves a lot of money and heartache.

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41633

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Can you grab the tool online?

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41635

i have had the harbor frieght adjustable speed multi tool for about 2 years now,it great for most anything,i use it alot,on the boats and the house,it cut through the aluminum soffit,and vinyl siding,when i added a room to the house,and also cut the wood great,it also sands great,and you can get a small finger sander for it for very small spots.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41655

I have owned the one put out at harbor freight for over 2 years Use them for many things. Better then a saw saw on Sheetrock.

Bought the metal cutting blades to go between the wood on my yellow Jacket for the screws that were head stripped

I have one for home, and one at the lake house (rehabbing it) and one at the shop

Catch them on sale for around $29
Blades for Dremmel (better then harbor's Freights) can be bought at Home Depot and work with it

www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68303.html

CAVU

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41769

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, the Tractor Supply tool is adjustable speed too. LOL, sales clerk wanted to know if I wanted to purchase the extended warranty. Uhhh...no. If and when it quits I'll throw it away and buy another. They actually included a spare set of brushes in the box! I got the three planks cut (total of four cuts) and removed in an hour. Most of that time was gently tapping them from the inside to coax them out and not splinter the neighboring planks. I need to section out a few bad pieces of battens, and then the new stuff gets fabricated and installed. Started hand tightening the screws, all roughly 3000 that hold this beast together. Every one of them is 1/4 to 3/4 turns loose after 63 years, but every one so far has tightened nicely.

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41775

I tried one fro Home Depot and one from Lowes but took them back. Got the Harbor Freight tool and it ROCKS! Ten times sturdier than the others. And they're ALL made outisde the US, so what's the difference, other than price?

Blest boater

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #41805

Yep love my multi tool. It is a Fein but dad bought it and I inherited it. :) Used it on grout, sanding etc. Plan on using it on the Century once I get started on her. Best idea for a tool in a long time I think.

Bob

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #42560

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..B.: Tractor supply was down to their last display model last night ,So I took It..Finish up on the transom removal this am. comes with a small acc kit . One wood blade , one scraper , sand paper & triangle holder... variable speed sort of easier on you arms..Feels like a hair cut razor.. Slightly smaller dia than a angle hand grinder.

..PS Both ski hook Bolts & top steering bolts thru the transom were about 1/2 diamter as the threaded ends. ! Guys that hoist boats up on these 40 yr old lift rings will learn some day.

. Saw some other models on Amazon web the other night & ready to buy, but they got Bad feedback report... Do not know yet what other brand blades are interchangeable (?).. Store ladies were nice & said ,Not happy , bring back.

.. This mid 60's Glasspar Sedan has the UN-BOLTable splashwell
making transom replace hobby friendly.

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 7 months ago #42563

I have the Harbor Freight version with the variable speed control. So far it has worked well. I think it was about $59. I should have bought it before I replaced the floor in the Glastron!

Hello, World!!

Re:Tool Report - Trades Pro Multi Tool 12 years 6 months ago #44141

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mine is also from Harbor Freight and 90% of the time is used for glass work .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)