Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New and curious

New and curious 6 years 7 months ago #133171

Hello,

I am new to this site as a member but I have been browsing here for a while. I just inherited a delightful MFG boat that I think might be a '69 Convair 198 I/O. It has been in a barn in Central British Columbia for over 10 years but before that it spent time on the Great Lakes. Former owner says it ran well at the time it went into storage. He has drained all fluids and left cooling system open so there should be no issues with the block. It does need some tlc (a LOT of tlc) and a few new bits for the motor and leg. I don't even no where to begin looking for parts.
I am hoping to confirm the model and year and I have attached a couple of pics. The serial number on the Mercruiser 120 seems to make it a '72' or '73 engine
I look forward to lots of information sharing with this group and I'll let you know how things progress.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New and curious 6 years 7 months ago #133199

Hard to tell year for sure, but Convairs were made fron 1967-1969 model years. For parts, it's usual scrounching, although MFG used pretty standard stuff in those days. Fiberglass repair can be done by yourself or a restoration shop. Check floor and transom for wood rot - under floor and definitelly the transon between the inner and outer fiberglass layers. If you have someone else do it, it can get expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)