Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff

Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5851

What do you use for hardware to mount the motor and PT&T brackets to the transom? Carriage bolts? Regular cap screws? Any help greatly appreciated!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5854

3/8x3 in carrage bolts ss.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5855

For the PT&T brackets too Dave?

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5861

yes.for the piston brackets lag screws for the motor brackets.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5864

Let me get this straight Dave...

Mount the Merc1000 - lag screws

Mount the PT&T brackets - carriage bolts

What don't you use carriage bolts or cap screws to mount the Merc1000? I built the transom braces so I could use cap screws (bolts) there. No?

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5874

lag screws are for the pump mount, motor and trim are the carrage bolts.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5876

Gotcha!

Thanks Dave, enjoy yer day.

Frank

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5953

just my 2 pennys...Lag bolts dont have a place in a boat. Be sure you goop them up with Silicone cus they will lead to rot. I try to thru bolt where I can.
just use the clamps and the 4 3/8 bolts...that will be plenty of holes in your transom.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5962

What I got going here is 6 3/8X3 carriage bolts for the two bottom motor ones and 4 I need for the two trim brackets. The lag bolts Dave was mentioning would be going in the cross braces for the transom inside the boat. I am trying to figure out a way to through bolt some sort of bracket I would make up to mount that trim pump/motor thingie. Man, it's always sumpin!

Frank

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5963

bolt the piston down if not they will flex on the transom makes for a firmer mounting.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5967

Bolt what piston down Dave? I will be bolting the trim brackets to the transom, and the top of the pistons are mounted to the bracket and the bottom to the motor. Not sure what you are getting at here.

Just getting ready to drill, caulk and screw the transom cap down!

Frank

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #5977

by piston i mean the brackets with the pistons on them.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6016

By pistons - I interprete Dave to be referring to the 'rams'.
I use small (#10) stainless self-tapping sheet meatal machine screws to secure the pump when using the Mercury 'floor mount' bracket - and 5/16" lag-screws or thru bolts if possible when mounting to the transom knees or transom - just make sure you are not drilling and threading something through the bottom of the hull.
I've seen that too many times.
I agree with Lakeracer that threading into any wood on a boat opens the opportunity to dry rot, etc - especially if you don't properly seal the entry points with a good sealer.
You could always fiberglass a piece of wood to the place you want to mount the pump and if that piece of wood goes to pot in 30 years - simply cut the fiberglass strips and glass another piece of wood in its place.
So,...Thru bolts to secure the Merc and ram brackets & 'lag' or 'self tapping' screws to secure the pump inside the hull.
my 2 cents worth.

Thom

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6019

Again, I'm a bit confused here. Each ram bracket will have two 3/8 X 3 stainless carriage bolts, one top and one bottom with flat washers and nyloks inside. The motor will be clamped on top and have two 3/8 X 3 stainless carriage bolts, with flat washers and nyloks inside used in the bottom holes of the transom bracket. Does that do it, or am I off base here?

Doc, I'm trying to figure a way to mount the trim pump/motor on my cross braces without using lag bolts. If I end up using lag bolts, they will be well gooped with 4200. I can't put the pump on the floor, as the floor is the hull, and there's very little space. The top cross brace is also the transom rest for the custom splash pan I built, so getting this done without using lag bolts will be somewhat difficult, but I haven't got to that point yet. I've got my hands full, but will keep trying to figure something out. I need to set my 2 six gallon gas tanks floor in there with the battery and see where there's room for the pump. Haven't had a chance to do that yet. I've got some ideas that I have to work on, and will keep y'all posted.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6021

OK folks, confused Limey here - what on earth are Lag bolts? :unsure: I have been following this thread & trying to work it out but I give up! A picture would be good.

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6022

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416qgsX-nwL._SL500_

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6023

Here's one...
Attachments:

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6032

Ah I see, basically a self tapping bolt by the looks of things. Thanks chaps. :)

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6038

Frank,
You sure do have cramped quarters, but once you get the fuel tanks, battery, & splash well temporarily in place we can brain storm this pump placement better.
You have it correct in the way you understand to mount the trim rams and the Merc.
I'll post a picture later showing how I 'stuffed' the trim pump under the splash well of my G-3. Maybe it will inspire some 'out of the box' thinking for your completely different, but equally unique set up.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6075

My splash pan is mounted, glassed in and painted Doc, no problem there! Buy I do not have a floor to bolt or screw anything to like you do on yer gee three. My floor is the hull. Not having a floor makes walking around in the boat a bit dicey, but then again, weight is a speed boat's enemy, and not having a regular floor is gonna help me out there.

I cut out a piece of 1/8 aluminum plate last night to mount inside the transom where the clamps go. It's 11 1/4 X 3 3/4, though I may cut the length down a bit. I need to find a counter sink tool that will work with aluminum, then hopefully today pick up a piece of .080 or .125 plate for the exterior where the motor rests against the transom. Then I can stick the motor on. I'll be doing all my center measurements while mounting these transom plates. My goal is just to get the motor on the boat by the weekend, then I'll start screwing around with how I'm gonna be able to mount that trim pump. I've got some ideas, but can't figure it out till I get the gas tanks in. I have a glassed piece of marine plywood (somewhere!) that stretches across the middle and port tunnels to set the tanks on. I know where the battery goes, I got a piece of marine plywood glassed to the hull/floor on the starboard side, and glassed in the machine screws to hold tie=down straps (see the pic). I should have a better handle on this by Sunday.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Attachments:

Mounting PT&T pump 13 years 11 months ago #6082

Here's the deal. Can only get the tanks in sideways, other wise they stick out and I can't get a back seat in. Can't lift the battery to put it in the boat because of my back. Will get my son to do it later today. Looks like the only place I could mount the PT&T pump is off the starboard side, see arrow in pic.

In the last pic, you can see the nyloks and flat washers on 2 of my #8 oval head stainless machine screws I put the rub rail on with after two layers of matt and resin on the shoebox seam. All the Phillips oval heads are clocked too. :)

More later, gotta run!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Mounting PT&T pump 13 years 11 months ago #6097

What about something like this?
I'll bet somebody can run with this basic idea and make it better.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6114

When my kid gets home, we'll put the battery in and check it out. Thanks Doc, I'll keep ya posted.

Frank

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6221

I got kind of tied up last night mounting my merc. Gregg picked up a battery box for me (I'm told it's a legal requirement for boats in NY nowadays), and we set it in the spot I built for the battery. Getting my trim pump in here is gonna be a challenge, but we'll figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my thanks to Dave Bernard for the suggestion on centering the motor. I think using trinagulation as he suggested, I got it within 1/64" of center.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Mounting '63 Merc1000, PT&T stuff 13 years 11 months ago #6234

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I like Dr Frankenmerc's idea but I was also wondering instead of crowding everything into the lazzerette of the boat with fuel, battery and hydraulics why not try to work some magic with the rear seat. I am sure the back of the seat will need to flip down to access the lazzerette for the fuel tanks but I would imagine if you crowd the space it will be difficult not only to mount things but also to work on things. Maybe move the battery to under the seat at least and save the space behind it to run the hydraulics and set the fuel tank's. Try a tank either side of the stern put the hydraulics center and under the rear bench seat center the battery.
An acid proof plastic battery box is required everywhere I thought. It only makes sense to anchor the battery and its container box real good to keep it safe from falling over. You don't want battery acid in your bilge. Its too bad you didn't put a fuel tank up forward under the deck like a 12 or 18 gallon. That would have allowed more breathing room at the stern for battery and etc...........
She looks good with that Merc on her. Glad to see it. Your hard work is about to pay you back! Get the tilt rams on. I am surprised they got to you so quick. I shipped them UPS ground. Those came off of a fresh water Merc 800 I have so they should work no problem.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)