Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: prop removal

prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24243

i have a 1969 50hp lower unit with the prop stuck on the shaft. i was wondering if anyone has any tricks on how to get it off without destroying the prop, the prop is in good shape and i would like to save it if possible. i was thinking of maybe drilling a hole somewhere to try to get some PB Blaster in there.
thanks
steve d

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24245

The problem is that any heat, penetrating fluid or brute force you put on it could damage the rubber hub. The best you can probably do is use "gentle" force, maybe via a wooden block puller, pulling on all three blades to distribute the force. Cast aluminum props tend to crack when things gets forceful... Doesn't help that Merc propshafts from that era were prone to rusting, particularly if the plating was worn through.

I know you don't want to destroy the prop, but sometimes it's either that or damage the engine. Props are cheap - lower units are not... relatively speaking.

- Scott

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24246

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
For starters, I would tilt the motor up all the way and spray or shoot W-D 40 onto the prop shaft (I assume the prop nut is off). Let it soak for hours. Then see if you can take a wooden stick and bang something on the front end of the prop directed backwards. Sometimes all that is needed is a sharp strick to unglue the corrorated pieces. Or even a bang on the hub section with a wooden piece to work the pieces apart. Good luck.

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24251

clean and spray the splines, get someone to help and use 2 2x2 by 2-3ft wood put them under the blades pry them in oppisite directions. while doing this put a nut on the propshaft to protect the threads and use a heavy punch and hammer (BMFH) and strike the punch sharp and hard.

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24252

Buy or rent a prop puller (or take it to the shop as for them to do it).........Sometimes chems will over time soften the rubber boot.......even WD 40

CAVU

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24253

I would go the prop puller direction. Pounding on the prop shaft or the prop itself could do some serious damage to the gears and/or clearances within the lower unit. Pounding on the prop could cause unseen cracks or changes in pitch or balance. For the small cost of someone pulling the prop for you would be worth it.
Bill

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24283

If you discover through efforts mentioned that the prop is REALLY stuck, any chemicals or press, or pullers will simply get the outer prop off and the rubber hub and internal splined hub will remain.
BUT,...If you get that far,...You can cut off the rubber and then properly heat the seized inner hub.
Or,..Drill holes through the rubber and after putting a large washer and nut on the end of the propshaft to keep the prop from shooting off and hurting someone,...Put the gear case in the water to protect the seals, etc and BURN the rubber hub out, the outer prop will 'fall' off and you can attack the inner hub.
Thom

Re:prop removal 13 years 3 months ago #24287

beleive it or not soak it in saltwater for a few weeks can loosen it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)