Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how do i find out what year it is?no name plate

how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23868

ive a kiekhaefer mercury 500 -50 hp.how do i find out what year it is?theres no name plate.runs great after i redid the rotted wiring.having trouble with it loosing gear oil.need to take bottom end off to repair drain plugs.can anyone help me out?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23872

Get the serial number off the cylinder block. Depending on the year, it should be located either on the crankcase seam, starboard side, or on top of the block, port side, rear of the flywheel.

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23873

then goto eastcoastmarine.com

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23876

thanks!

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23895

To a degree, the remove the lower unit from the 500 will depend on what era 500 it is.
Rather than go into too much detail now - I'll wait until you either post a picture of the beast or its serial number.
I could do a 'write-up' if I learn from you whether the exhaust goes through the prop or if the prop is solid with a pointed retaining nut.
Thom

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23960

31-69952 is what i found to the port side of flywheel...i also found 46112 and 1017-4002.it runs great but i haven't put it under load yet.above the water inlets are 2 plugs..vent and flush....is this where gear grease goes ? when i try putting some in,it flows right out the water inlets....something is not right..can you help sir?
Thanks

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #23962

does the prop have a large hole in the rear or a cone nut? with the hole 62 or newer. cone 61. the flush plug is for water which is why the lube runs out the water pickup. on the bottom of the gearcase toward the front is a large screw the grease drain if it is the big hole prop which i think it is look for a screw the same size for the vent when filling. if it is the cone nut look for a small screw under the cav plate on the side.is the water pickup on the side of the housing 62 and up or under the cav plate 61. hope this helps. taking the lower off, remove all the bolts, early has a hidden allen up the exhaust snout.latter has a hidden bolt under the trim tab which must be removed to access it

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #24035

thank you very much for your info!!!.....is the flush plug for removing salt water out of the system ?....what type gear oil do you recommend?

Re:how do i find out what year it is?no name plate 13 years 3 months ago #24036

flush plug yes. if it is jet prop exhaust open prop then oil. cone nut grease.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)