Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LU lube change questions

LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23324

This is about all I'm getting out of the LU. Does that look about right?

That's the right kind of lube to use right? At least there doesn't appear to be any water in the mix!

Also, I bought this pump to put the new oil in, but neither of the plastic hoses fit tight. Is there a better product that screws right in, or could I buy a nipple that would screw in that the larger plastic hose would just go over?

Almost done. Fogged the cylinders this a.m., reset a few plug gaps, and all I have left to do for wiring is tie a circuit breaker in. Pics later.

Thanks for any and all help!

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23326

thats the lube i use frank. don't remember if my gizmo screws in, all i know is that its a tight fit. that looks like the right amount of fluid that comes out. if there was water in it, it would look milky.

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23327

Seems to me many moons ago I had a unit that screwed in Ron. The plug threads are not common, so I can't get a nipple for the hose. the larger hose that is part of the pump might squeeze in. Maybe I'll try that.

The lube coming out is as black as can be. Tim sealed that LU real well!

Frank

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23328

Frank - right pump, just purchased in the wrong place. A similar pump at West Marine or most marinas will have the thread-in fitting which makes things MUCH easier. I fumbled around for years with tubes, gooey messes and lots of wasted gear oil before I got smart.

As long as the oil that came out doesn't smell burned, it should be okay. It looks dark in the photo, though. Also, about how much came out? That doesn't look like much - should be about a pint, give or take. I use a bit more than a pint in my 1983 Johnny V4...

- Scott

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23329

thats easily a pint if thats the kind of basin some people use in there sink to wash dishes.

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23330

Well, it smells, that's for sure Scott, but it doesn't seem to smell burnt. I have really nothing to compare it to.

Maybe I'll call West Marine today and see what they have for a pump. If they have one I can run up and get it.

I think I got a pint or more out. This is a 26 oz. jar, and you can see for yourself. That of course doesn't count for the amount that didn't get in the jar! (Not much I believe.)

Frank

Attachments:

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23331

Of course, West Marine is closed Mondays here. Whippee.

Frank

Re:LU lube change questions 13 years 4 months ago #23338

New gear oil also smells " bad "
That is the way it is.
The pump should have a fitting on it with 3/8 NC thread ( standard ) except for " off shore built motors "

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)