• Page:

TOPIC: Tearing down my Mark78A

Tearing down my Mark78A 13 years 4 months ago #23270

• joenawlins
  • joenawlins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
First I haven't done so much knuckle busting since my jet mech days in the Navy. What's the trick for getting the flywheel nut off? Also whats the procedure for taking the lower end off? already have prop off and all the bolts around the bottom.Already have carbs and linkage off, wiring harness and distributor out and fuel pumps off as well. BTW this is the first time I've ever attemted to wok on an outboard!!! I'm pretty good at takin' stuff apart...LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tearing down my Mark78A 13 years 4 months ago #23271

Impact gun is invaluable for stubborn flywheel nuts and prop nuts. Not for smaller nuts and bolts. :( The nut has been on there a long time and it was probably over torqued in the first place.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Tearing down my Mark78A 13 years 4 months ago #23272

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Joe, it doesn't hurt to soak the threads with a little wd-40, liquid wrench, PB Blaster, or whatever for a while too. After I did the first one by hand, with vise-grips holding the flywheel, Dave is right, I went out and bought an impact! :ohmy: Made the flywheel puller much easier to use as well.

Mark

Re:Tearing down my Mark78A 13 years 4 months ago #23277

use a strap wrench to hold the flywheel not a vise grip.

Re:Tearing down my Mark78A 13 years 4 months ago #23283

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You're so right Dave B, a strap wrench would be much safer. (Didn't know they made them that big.) I was leery about messing up the ring gear with the vise grips, but was lucky and got away with that time. Sometimes we use what we have on hand to get the job done, ya know!? Not a recommended practice for sure. If memory serves me correctly, I threaded the puller bolts into the holes and used some bar stock to hold it while torquing the nut back down to spec's when re-assembling.

This was quite some time ago before I learned to ask for advise before tackling a project for the first time. Live and learn.... ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady