Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Winter project, ressurecting a Black Stack ADI 115

Winter project, ressurecting a Black Stack ADI 115 13 years 4 months ago #23011

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
The Merc Stack revival network is alive n well.

Last week I purchased two rebuilt long blocks from Ron Hill the racing propeller guy.
Both are bored oversize with new pistons/rings, new bearings, new exhaust plates/bolts, etc.
One is for the 90-115hp distributor inline, one is for the 115-140 inline with ADI ignition.
Both engines were rebuilt by Ed Lane of outboard racing fame, and sitting on a shelf in a shop for 12 years. The paperwork shows all the parts/prices and even Ed's micrometer readings for fitting the new pistons to the bores. You can read about him at www.boatracingfacts.com . They ship to me tomorrow in wooden crates.
Since Thom and I are always up to somethin', I'd told him about these fresh rebuilds. Also told him that I needed a late ADI motor complete with bad powerhead since I prefer the later motors for various reasons.

So Thom calls me last night and says Merry Christmas there's a late 89 115hp with oil injection (the decals say that but it's not true injection, it's Auto Blend) complete but with bad powerhead on Seattle craigslist for a hundred bucks. Told him I'd call him right back, which I did.
I picked up the engine this morning in the snow (toted my hoist over in my Dodge Cummins on the early ferry boat and snagged this baby fast), complete with the Auto Blend, controls, warning horn wiring all connected, and Commander style controls to boot. This is the first one I've seen with the Auto Blend/alarm still plumbed. Myself and the po removed the motor/controls from his boat pronto, total cost $150 with the Auto Blend (which I'm not sure I'll run and we can all discuss later).

Project will entail the powerhead swap on her with setup/tuneup/break in etc and post the progress here. New fuel pump innards, carb kits, and whatever else she needs. Likely will get new CDI trigger/stator/switchboxes/rectifier/regulator too.
I've done this a few times, swapped in a rebuilt powerhead etc, and have been rewarded with a smooth running Stack every time.
I love these late prop rated Stacks.
What a nice product.
I run them mostly in salt but flush everytime, have had zero problems. We've got quite a few of these old gals motorvating amongst my friends, Clint has two, Melanie has one, Doug has one, and Thom has more than all of us Combined but we don't sleep with ours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Winter project, ressurecting a Black Stack ADI 115 13 years 4 months ago #23012

Take that " autoblend " and throw it away as far as you can !

Re:Winter project, ressurecting a Black Stack ADI 115 13 years 4 months ago #23013

Nice catch Bill, can,t beat the price and likely there will be some useable parts in that late model block. It only takes one or two pistons to stop em running and the other four are bonus parts.
Personally I would ditch the "ought to blend".

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Winter project, ressurecting a Black Stack ADI 115 13 years 4 months ago #23019

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
...and a third "ditch the Autoblend". Automatic oil mixers fail, owners mixing oil PROPERLY do not.

Re:Winter project, ressurecting a Black Stack ADI 115 13 years 4 months ago #23025

What do a Autoblend unit and a trampoline have in common? They both are fun to jump up and down on.

Not one of Merc's brighter moments. let me tell you. Pitch it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)