TOPIC: Hi Thom

Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22903

• daveswaves
  • daveswaves's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Happy new year. :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22910

Hi Dave!
Feel free to chime in with some Mercury Wisdom my brother!!
:)
(don't tell Dave that I told you guys, but he is building a top secret Stack that could revolutionize the old girls and keep them out in front of the big dollar boyz).
:) :) :)
Thom

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22911

• daveswaves
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yup, right after my afternoon nap I go out to the garage, turn up the heat and make another part. Seriously, though, I might actually put it together soon. I do have all of the mechanical details worked out and everything works as it should. My grandson is here visiting this weekend so I am going to get him to carry the block inside the house so I can do the final clean and assemble. Like you, I can lift em and move em. Just dont trust myself on the stairs to the downstairs workshop carrying 2 years worth of work ;)
Every part has been fitted and assembled into a mock up using the actual block. Disassembled yesterday. Going to do a final weight on each piston rod assembly. All the rods came in between 299 grams and 300 grams. Stock rods were all over the place. Reed blocks were modified and weighed. One is 1g heavy so it will be a little rich so it will go on 3/4. I will post pics when it is all together. Not as cool as your twister, but still has the "whats that" factor. B)

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22912

• daveswaves
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here,s a teaser pic from the summer.

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22919

I don't see a pic, but ya sure got my attention!

Frank

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22927

No kidd'n, I want to see too! I balanced my rods this year for my 1500. The stock rods were all over the place too, I could not believe it.
Conrad

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22947

Dave,
You might need to reduce the pixel size of the pictures to post.
I think that about 900 X 600 is about the max.
I can shrink 'em and return them so you can post 'em if you want to send them to me - or - I think there is a link to Irfanview on fiberglassics somewhere. It is a free download that will shrink sizes for you.
T

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22951

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's the link to the post called "How to Post Pictures" Dave, (it's in the Support section).
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/support/how-to-post-pictures
It's got a link to Irfanview, and some guidelines on the subject. ;)

Mark

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22958

• daveswaves
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

This should work Frank, I re sized it. Just a teaser, as you can see I am fitting it with 46MM throttle bodies. I will post a pic of the finished intake manifold less the fuel pump and fuel rail.
Attachments:

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22960

• daveswaves
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah, I hand picked 6 rods from batch of about 30 rods, then reduced the overall weight to the lightest one 299g, balanced big end and small end accordingly. Using an analytical scale down to .001 G.

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22965

Coming along nicely Dave, can't wait to hear it fire up! If you need any bits for the engine let me know, you can raid my stash anytime.

George

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22972

• daveswaves
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks George, its actually much further than the pic, just dont want to show too much too soon. The v6 flywheel I got from you is now modified with an I6 ring gear and hex cap screws.

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22973

Daveswaves wrote:

This should work Frank, I re sized it. Just a teaser, as you can see I am fitting it with 46MM throttle bodies. I will post a pic of the finished intake manifold less the fuel pump and fuel rail.

Wow, pretty slick Dave. Keep up the great work!

Frank

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #22979

• daveswaves
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Frank, Thom knows the story on this build but I will share some info here as well. I built a fairly stock 1150 for my bass boat and added integral trim and tilt and a sweptback gearcase along with a jack plate. You might call that my daily driver. The 1500 block was purchased in Chicago, some 600 miles from me, Road trip. I decided to start where Merc left off with the 1500 and 1400 and detail the block, clean up casting flaws etc. It was originally slated for std. pistons till I came across 6 Persan pistons .030 over. Since nobody really does blind boring around here I started to build my own boring mill. Part way through that process I met up with and became friends with a local machine shop owner who gave me the full use of his shop. I set up an old bridgeport mill from the 60's and my block and bored all 6 holes .030 over. There was a great feeling of accomplishment doing the boring myself. I was about to assemble it when I came across a triple throttle body from a 1994 Polaris Snowmobile. The fuel injection computer that runs it does not need an o2 sensor since the snowmobile is 2 stroke as well/ Bonus. Then comes the secret part ( lets just say I can adjust the fuel map on the computer, on the fly, with my laptop) :cheer:

I hogged out the intake throats on the standard merc intake and adapted the 3 throttle bodies. There are some mods to the standard reed blocks as well since the goal was to get as much air flowing through as possible since I now had the capability to push as much fuel as necessary.

While I was at it I converted the block to accept an adi front plate and switched the beast over to ADI. Nothing is sacred in this build. I fabricated all new linkages for the throttle bodies and a custom fuel rail 8N (lots of fuel). The timing linkage is also modified so that the throttle bodies don,t open till the timing is all in, same as merc. From there the fuel map is modified to maintain the stoichemistry needed to keep the pistons in their original form....solid. These are high dome .030 over. My design criteria is for a wot of 6500 rpm, fairly modest. Im sure it is capable of more since everything is balanced and blueprinted. The entire package fits under the standard cowling and will replace the existing 115 block on my bass boat. This block will be run...hard.

More later.

Re:Hi Thom 13 years 4 months ago #23008

Dave, sounds pretty darn awesome!! Cannot wait to see more!! This is right up my alley.

I wish I could do my own boring and balancing. I paid a guy with the proper tools to balance my rods.

Conrad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)