Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My latest restoration

My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21177

As many of you may know - I've been unable to work in my shop and create Mercury Magic since Nov 15th when I had back surgery.
Sadly things didn't go real smoothly so recovery is much slower that I had originally been told, but slowly,..I do improve.

The last couple days a few friends have stopped by to assist me in finishing up some assemblies that I really wanted to finish, but didn't dare because sooner or later I would no doubt bend over or try and lift something.
I was able to point and explain as we went and a LOT got accomplished thanks to Bruce and Fred.
Hopefully I will be able to dive back in full throttle before too many more months.
:silly:

I am very proud of how the latest restoration came together and wanted to share pictures with you guys.
It is an early 1955 Mark 55. The keen eye will spot the left over Mark 50 pieces the factory used in early 1955 to assemble the first Mark 55s. Some even had the sand cast blocks, but this one did not. All serial numbers match on this oldie but goodie.

If I can't get them to all post under this post I will add them in 'replies' until they are all up.
I picked (9) to share.
Thom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21178

WOW Thom, looks great!!! I see you have the correct square beveled cowel. I see many 1955 MK55's with the wrong round beveled cowls.

Too bad my MK 55 E wasnt in better shape for you to steal parts off of. The starter was all messed up, and was nearly useless. It was red too, which I thought was neat, Most were green/silver.

I still have one 1955 green one waiting for restore, but it will be awhile.

Great
Conrad

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21179

Great looking motor Thom. The Mk55 is one of the "prettiest" (IMHO)Mercs they made. Makes me wish I could get on my 57 Mk55E but alas, she's on the bottom of the todo list. Good luck on the back,I'm going thru that with the better half. It's a hard recuperation. Wish I were closer, I would have been glad to help.

Tom

Re: My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21180

PS Im surprised you painted over the dark grey block.
Conrad

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21183

Thom, Hope your back is better soon! Excellent work on the MK55. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me if I want that 800FGS looking like that!

Bob

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21185

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bob
I was out in Thom's neck of the woods on Thanksgiving.
I did not get a chance to go up and visit with him but I was looking at two Towers while I was there. I called Thom and he was more than willing to answer all of my questions. His guidance helped me get both of the motors I was looking at. A short and a long shaft. Both 64 1000's. I am watching and learning as you are working on yours. It is gonna turn out great.

Thom
Looks like you did it again. Beautiful work you do keeping these old girls alive and kicking. Hope you get back to 100% soon.
Thanks again for the help at Thanksgiving.
I am yet to get started on my Stacks. Soon.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21187

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Carl is smiling above!
Who's that motor for Thom?

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21188

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery Thom. I know from following your previous posting that you don't like to dwell on your personal problems, but PLEASE take care of yourself and take it slow and easy. You are a true gentleman and one of the Masters of Mercurys, IMHO. That Mark motor turned out beautifully, you SHOULD be proud.

Mark

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21190

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
T: CONGRATS. Been there both topics, done that . Last year had nasty round of bad injury / spasm. Some wheelchair time. Over due chain saw, kayak fishing , etc.

. Here is a pic of a pair of Mercs that came out of same chicken coop , Poughkeepsie NY . The Green one was the Mark 50 with the square silver cowl grooves you talk about . The orig block was seezed , but remember the two GLASS fuel filter bowls. Got sold Mt Dora ,Fla many years ago. Again SWEET restoration ..

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21191

Boy Doc, Bruce and Fred are good students. Did they have to pay to attend your class, or did you let them in for free? :)

Good luck with the back. I go back and forth on surgery to "fix" what ails me, but I guess I'm not sold on it. On the other side of the coin, I can't do much anymore either, but tend to wax philosophical about it. I'm just glad the Power Cat got done, and thanks to a lot of the help you gave me (among many others), I got a great running merc. Thank you for all you do for everybody else!

I hope your back gets better soon and that you have a great Christmas.

Frank

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21193

Awesome work Thom, and thank you as well for all your advice in the past, and the future! :silly:

Slow and steady on the recupertation - been there/done that on injuries that required I do nothing for 60 days - One year for full recovery - but now that shoulder is 110%

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21200

Thanks for all the kind words! They will help me 'get my game back'!!

Conrad,
I totally agree with the dark gray block, due to its uniqueness marking the era, but,..The owner wanted it as painted.
Thom

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21273

Thom:

Glad to hear you are back some what. Wish I could help you the way you have helped me in the past.

Speedy recovery to you.

By the way the motor looks great! I am sure it runs even better.

Darrell

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 5 months ago #21279

nice work Doc ....speedy recovery

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #21317

Thom,

I got to thinking? Was the serial number tag RED on the RED MK 55's in 1955? I for some reason think my RED 1955 MK 55 had a RED tag between the clamps.

Im probably wrong Ill have to dig thru some pics.

Conrad

Yours looks like it was originally red tho, the motor I mean....

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #21320

This motor was originally red (sunset orange) and white (sand tan) and the ID tag and thumbscrew handles were green.
I thought that the early ones were only green & silver, but this one and one I snagged of CL for parts were both originally red & white.
My parts Mk55 is a Mark 55L, which doesn't mean it is a long shaft like later Mercs, it just means it had a very early sand cast block, small turtle top, and 11 spline prop shaft.
The restored one has a Mark 50 DSH (no 'dyna float' on the lower mount covers and a bress exhaust snout rather than a cast snout.
It also has the Mark 50 lower unit with a 14 spline prop shaft.
It also has the Mark 50 flywheel and rewind crown.
It also has a matching serial number on the block and swivel housing.
At first I thought someone had built a Frankenmerc, but I have since been informed that there were quite a few variations in the early Mark 55.
Interesting trivia.
I have attached a couple pictures of a sand cast Mark 55 powerhead - pretty unique.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #21337

thanks for the sand cast pics Thom I have seen some before but not knowing they were the early sand cast
can these blocks be worked for more hp than the later blocks or is that urban legend

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22319

IF you mean like this, then, YES! :ohmy:
Attachments:

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22341

mtechmarine,
It looks like you have some pretty sweet Mercs and most likely a wealth of Merc Knowledge.
Welcome to the Mercury Outpost!
It would be really great if you would be so kind as to post some pictures of some of your treasures.
Thom
:)

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22342

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

It would be really great if you would be so kind as to post some pictures of some of your treasures.
Thom
:)

As a newbie to the site (a few months) I would like for YOU to do the same!!! Only a couple small Mercs in my collection, (AOMCI member) but love classic AND fast boats and motors. That T2 of yours looks awesome, can't wait to see running pics!!!!!!!! Seen a couple group shots in the shop, but what about some of your faves?

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22353

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The Laboratory of Dr Frankenmerc is one that is in demand. It I will assume it is like a DOJO a house of respect and knowledge. One of my goals for the day I am able to make my quest to the west coast is visit my friends that restored PT-658 and the Lab of the good Doctor Frankenmerc.
The motor looks beautiful Thom.
Happy New Year Everybody!
Jim

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22354

kerry send me an email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. i have pics of some of my 2cyl 40's-50's merc including race models. dave.

Re:My latest restoration 13 years 4 months ago #22355

kerry send me an email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. i have pics of some of my 2cyl 40's-50's merc including race models. dave.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)