• Page:

TOPIC: Look what I got for $100!!!

Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21001

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
OK, I'm new to the Merc experience do to just obtaining this new toy.

The guy gave me an aluminum and brass prop as you can see. It seems to be froze up right now but once I get it on the stand I have I should be able to tilt it up and shoot some Marvel oil into each of the cylinders and let it sit for a while and see what happens.

I believe it's a 1961 800EL. The serial number is 1406104.

Don't know when it was run last, at least 5 or 6 years I think since that's when the boat it was on was registered last. It needs lots of cosmetics done to it as you can tell. The inside looks pretty clean though. Looks like a couple of bolts snapped off but should be a probelm with my easy outs.

Sorry for the long thread, just a litttle excited. I'm sure I'll be back for advice as this moves on through the winter. By the way, how are these on gas compared to my Rude Fat Fifty?

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21003

The 800FGS is a real smooth running Stack-6 and if you ever need any parts I have a LOT for the 800FGS including complete powerheads, etc.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21004

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats Bob, nice "Tower of Power"! I'd definitely check with Thom or one of the other good folks here who can help with parts and advise first, but here's a good place to look at some of the stuff on that motor;
store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/category_s/813.htm
(no such thing as too much reference material, right!?) ;)

Mark

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21008

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, Great info thanks!

Thom, Excellent boat engine combination. That's kind of what I'm thinking with mine. Have a possible line on a G3 but that's what I've got to work on the wife for. LOL what's the big difference between this 800 long shaft and the FGS? Are there any same parts? Did all the El's come with an alternator or only some? Doesn't look like mine has one but can't see up in the upper cowlomg very well. Have to see how to take it off.

Bob

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21012

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There were two 800's, the DR (Direct Reverse, aka "Dock Busters") and the FGS (Full Gear Shift) in 61. There were several models of the FGS, the EL being one of them. IF memory serves me correctly the E is for electric and the L for long shaft. The alternator (stator) is up under the flywheel, and the rectifier is a big round finned disc behind the mounting bracket on the front lower part of the motor right behind the faceplate. It will have two wires coming down on the port side from the stator, and one going back starboard into the harness to charge the battery, etc.. Hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me here, I'm sure the guys who know these motors much better than I can jump in and let us know if I've misled you Bob.

PS - There are four studs sicking down from the top cowl that go through mounting tabs on the motor. You unscrew the nuts (look up under the top) seems like 7/16 socket was required. Watch for little spacers used on some models between the top cowl and mounting tabs, used to level it up. (Mine only had them on the back studs, but they have been known to fall off as you remove the cowl and "run away" to the farthest corner of your shop/garage!) :laugh: You'll also have to take the cotter pin out of the choke lever if you have a manual knob on top, and probably unhook the wires to the electric choke solenoid up under there too. (Really pays to get the Merc manual on these babys, IMHO)

Mark

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21027

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, Thank you again. I guess I should have read the side of the motor better and I could have answered the FGS question myself and not had the dumb question of same parts as EL! Duh! :P After looking at the motor more closely (neighbor helped put it on the stand since last post) I see what your talking about. Looks like you are correct on all accounts. I want to see if I can get it to turn over before I get the manual. Want to make sure it's worth it. I think it will be. Definitely look more involved than My Rude! :ohmy:

Bob

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21035

all the inline 6's with points had charging systems it was needed for the battery ignition. with out the battery charged it would die just like a car. this is a simplification of the idea.

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21043

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave, Great thanks for the info.

Bob

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21080

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
BOB : GOOD Score $ 100 & extra props good value. WHAT other part in trunk bed .?? Are you showing us a Power trim / TILT pump motor.??
Black transom clamp / lever looks ADDED to the WHITE Motor . ??
Same on the left side .? Is that wired unit also connected to this white Merc.?

. Yes I would guess early motors gas thirsty. Read down thru this forum about the leak down bleed / check valves. Got vote of day. CONGRATS

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21086

i would say the other piston is on there . there are 4 hoses. that was a steal power trim is worth $350.00 at least.

Re:Look what I got for $100!!! 13 years 5 months ago #21112

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Split, thanks. Yep that's the power trim,/Tilt pump and lines, along with the controls and a bronze prop. I knew those bronze props were heavy but, wow!

Dave, thanks that's what if figured too. I himed and hawed about taking the whole boat but way too much work so the motor for $100 was a no brainer. He also said if I needed anything else off the boat to let him know. I may go back and get the temp guage, speedo and after market tach off the dash just for the heck of it.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)