Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today

Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #15826

Went up to the Adirondacks today for a bit of fun. Excuse? AOMCI meet at Schroon Lake. Had a great time, finally got this boat dialed in, been working awesome.

Thanks to all you folks that had a hand in this. I couldn't have done it or be having this kind of fun with a bunch of you guys helping out. Ya gotta love the internet.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #15867

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #15928

My heart sank when I saw the words "Transom shot".
Glad to see it was a photo, not a wrecked boat.
Isn't life great.

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #15960

Hi Frank,
I, as I am sure others are to, would enjoy hearing what propeller worked best, and what the numbers are.
It is very good to see that you are having FUN after your hard work!

Best Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #15964

Thank you Joe.

I have been using a 3 blade 18 pitch cupped ss merc vengeance prop. It winds to 5200 rpm (max trim) at 45-46 mph (gps). From what I've been told, this is about what these boats did back in the day with modern (fresh, new and professionally tuned) power. Of course, back in the day, they did not have PT&T. I adapted a j-rude throttle control for the trim so it's right at my throttle handle thumb under way. My trim gauge is the tach, basically. Once I start getting over 5200, speed drops off.

The '63 Merc1000 has been a great motor through the summer, taking a lot of abuse in the form of various props and other testing to get a good running tunnel hull boat that gets up on plane with nose up and (finally) no porpoising. Testing isn't maybe completely over, but for all rights and purposes, I am a very happy fellow. For what it's worth, I've burned through 2 gallons of synthetic 2 cycle marine oil since the boat has been on the water this year.

Once I get a few bucks ahead, I may see if my local prop guy can take an inch pitch off this blade. I think that would be perfect.

I hope to have some videos showing how it runs looking at it from the side later this week.

Frank

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #16049

Hi Frank,
I certainly appreciate the info.
I have to admit that I keep thinking that more may be there. On a 16' Hydrodyne with 1963 Merc 1000 EL we sold brand new, my father propped it with a Quicksilver 17" pitch 3-bladed bronze. This boat was almost constantly used for slalom waterskiing. Considering the shorter, lighter weight tunnel hull with the same outboard, I would think more is there. Please note that the bronze propeller was a lower rake, and possibly uncupped, which may explain away all the difference.
Question, have you tried the present propeller without the trim tab plates on? If so, was no difference noted?
Another one, did you say the 20" Laser turned 4000 or 4400? I cannot remember now.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #16051

No problem Joe.

I have not tried the prop with the Smart Tabs off. They are in the middle position (of 5 possibilities). I've only had the boat out twice with this prop on. Tomorrow we'll be out again after work, and I may play with the Smart Tabs then, i.e. remove them and/or try different settings. We'll see how it goes.

The 20P Laser turned 4400 trimmed out. That is when I discovered these cupped 3 blade ss props were the ticket for the performance I was looking for from the Power Cat. Given the 6 grand I was winding out to with my plain old 3 blade 17P aluminum prop, I figured an 18P was the way to go. I still think it's okay, but I may over the winter have a prop guy take an inch of pitch out of it.

Frank

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #16079

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
45-46 mph at 5200 sounds right in the ballpark to me. Much better than the upper 30's you had before. Well done!!!!!!

Re:Transom shot, Merc 1000 Adirondack run today 13 years 7 months ago #16088

Thanks Kerry, I appreciate it, but really it was Dave Cummings who lent me a 3 blade cupped ss prop that did it. I don't know for sure if my prop needs to be ss, but these cupped ss blades really let the boat do what she was supposed to do, and I found that out with Dave's prop. I wasn't getting enough rpm with his 20P, so posted here that I was looking for a 18P ss cupped prop and Dave Bernard had one. Can't beat this internet stuff!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)