Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Probaully a Dumb Question but Ill ask it ..

Probaully a Dumb Question but Ill ask it .. 13 years 7 months ago #14542

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This is Probaully a Dumb Question but ill ask it .. Everytime I play with the Shifter cable on a Mercury I have a heck of a time getting the Cable end far enought down on the Bolt for the shifter arm .As I push the end over the Bolt the Shifter Arm drops down and I cant get the Bolt to go threw Fully without putting a screw driver or something under the Shifter arm . Then once you get it threw I have a hard time getting the top retainer Guide piece on and the Nut started without the Arm dropping back down and probaully dropping the Nut down inside ...Is there a easy way to do this ?? Ill get it eventually but only after much Cussing and fishing the parts out of her a few times .. On my 115 I can reach under the carbs and help hold the lever up ..Now I just got a 80 hp 4 cyl and I cant get my hand under the carbs to the Shift Lever ..Am I missing something or did Merc build a head ache ...L.O.L....The Motor is a 1979 ..
Thanks Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Probaully a Dumb Question but Ill ask it .. 13 years 7 months ago #14556

dont take the retainer off just swing it to the side.

Re:Probaully a Dumb Question but Ill ask it .. 13 years 7 months ago #14666

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes what Dave said. The shifter has a spring loaded latch above the cable end, lift this latch and rotate it to the side. Sometimes it helps to loosedn the 7/16 nut. It should be fine unless it has been touched which it sound like you have, you cna overtighten it or have it too loose, There should be enough spring tesionto keep i engaged but not enough hthat you cannot lift it to rotate it out of the way. It has a small round bump on the underside to engage in th ecable end. It's very easy and is on the same design on all the inlines, so my guess is you are taking the whole thing apart rather than using it as intended.
R

Re:Probaully a Dumb Question but Ill ask it .. 13 years 7 months ago #15054

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So the Bolt that has the spring on the Bottom Doesnt go threw the hole in the Cable end ?? What goes threw the Cable end the little Nibs on it ?? Might sound Crazy but everytime Ive bought a merc its been apart ..

Re:Probaully a Dumb Question but Ill ask it .. 13 years 7 months ago #15093

yes the plastic peice that is hooked to the rod has a npeice that the cable sits on and the nib locks it in.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)