Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm

Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14280

All you guys must sneak a look at the LU when you're running, don't you? I did tonight, we were doing about 4000-4500 rpm and took this video. Would have done it at 5200 rpm, but Gail doesn't like having to drive it that fast (40+). Comments appreciated!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14283

could be jacked up a little more? you got you now what to take that video.

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14286

Yup, you certainly could raise that motor a bit more...

Cool video though! Always neat to see the business end of the motor doing what it does. Mike(bigfoot) had shot something similar to that when we were out motor testing on my Performer...you can see it at about the 3:20 mark...

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14291

Im thinkin it needs to go up :laugh: , but I already said that in another video

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14302

If you need help controlling porpoise leave it where it is, The cav plate acts llike a dole fine and smooths it out.

If you have the porpoise figured out, than raise it up with cupped props you will start truck'n

You could easily go up 2 more inches. Try at least 1 inch for starters. For all out performance if you want you need to be wayyyy up. Mine sits 5.5 inches off the transom and still gets water supply in the intakes.

Once that cav plate exits the water you will pick up 2-3 miles per hour easy! But your props will need to be cupped to operate semi suface piercing.

Every inch you will find more speed :laugh:

Have fun
Conrad

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14312

I'm still dealing with a boat that just likes to porpoise. Smart Tabs helped a lot, but I still don't get on plane the way I'm supposed to. About all I can think of is raising the motor at this point, though I sure would like to try an 18P cupped SS prop. Problem is they're 400 bucks, and that's a bit out of my price range for something just to see how it works.

Nevertheless, we just get out and enjoy what we have. Next spring that SS prop won't be as hard to imagine...

Frank

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14322

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Frank- Your bottom prep paid off, water coming off the boat ahead of the Merc is not very aerated. Well done!!! Would like to see a full speed shot to see where the water hits the L/U, it WILL be farther down at full throttle. How far will determine many things. Still think the Merc may have another 25hp hidden inside. Glastron GT-150's (525lb. V bottom) with 70hp J/E 1970's vintage run 45+, stock ski trim. Something still doesn't add up. That 'Cat should be running 50 with 100hp. :unsure:

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14325

Thanks Kerry. I need to get my oldest son Gregg out with me, he's another speed freak (mph, not the other stuff!). Then I would need to get up the nerve to climb out back and do another video. It's exciting to say the least. That's why the one here was only 7 seconds! Maybe tonight we could do that, unless I run out after work and pick up 30 pallets someone is giving away on craigslist.

That 100 horses was a powerhead rating, not prop. Folks tell me it's like a 75 or 80 horse motor at the prop. My friend Dave Cummings thinks I need 10 more horsepower for the boat to perform the way it otter, but cash is tight. It would be nice to find a vintage 1350 to put on her...

Frank

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14372

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank;
Contact Ben( aka hopefully fast) he has an 18 pitch prop he might let you use or buy.
Tim

Re:Close up video LU running about 4500 rpm 13 years 7 months ago #14373

I got a merc 18P 3 blade ss cupped prop coming Tim, but thanks, I appreciate it. Good to hear from you. I hope Paradise Boat Works is coming right along!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)