Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Full gear shift

Full gear shift 2 months 1 week ago #137876

I have a 1963 six cyl 80 hp black and white. Was told they were called dock busters . This was sent to Wisconsin and now has a full year shift or what he said was a neutral. Has anyone heard about this. Going on a beeline sapphire so want to make sure before I do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Full gear shift 2 months 1 week ago #137877

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
The last of the Direct Reversing (Dockbusters) motors were built in '61. The last year of the 80hp Six in any flavor was '61.

So maybe someone has been playing Mix and Match with faceplates etc. But you certainly cannot have a '63 800 Dockbuster, because they simply weren't made.

A few pictures might clear it up. Take one of the front of the engine, showing the faceplate, and one of the side. This should be enough to figure out what you have. The transom clamp's bracket should have a serial number on it and this will tell a lot as well.

BTW there's no simple way to turn a Dockbuster into a FGS model. You'd have to have the entire FGS motor minus powerhead and swap-over the Direct Reversing powerhead. And likely that's not simple either, as I have had the experience in the past that the crankshaft ends differ in that the Direct Reversing 800 crank is broached differently than the FGS crank. I had to cut off and re-spline a FGS lower unit in order to fit a Direct Reversing powerhead on top.

HTH...............ed

Full gear shift 2 months 1 week ago #137878

The 800 in 61 was made in both dock buster and full shift. the dock buster had a tower that is rounded under the lower cowl. the full shift had a squarer tower with a removable cover under the lower cowl.

Full gear shift 2 months 2 days ago #137907

I have a Mercury 80 hp Model E #1400863. I also have a 50 hp.
Photos attached.

Full gear shift 2 months 2 days ago #137908

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice motors! Your 80hp FGS serial # makes it a 1961 model. Either motor will look great on a classic boat!

Full gear shift 2 months 2 days ago #137909

So does that mean the 80 hp has a neutral and is not a dock buster. The beeline saffire will handle up to 100 hp. Is that to close to max or would 50up be better suited for that type boat. Thanks mark

Full gear shift 2 months 2 days ago #137910

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

luckyone wrote: So does that mean the 80 hp has a neutral and is not a dock buster. The beeline saffire will handle up to 100 hp. Is that to close to max or would 50up be better suited for that type boat. Thanks mark

"Full Gear Shift" means what it says. So you've got Fwd, Neutral, and Reverse. The 800 should push your boat the way you'd like. And besides, the old Cloud White inlines look so cool! BTW that 800 has a beautiful chromed faceplate. Made out of real metal, too.

The 500 would be an excellent performer on a lighter, 14'-15' boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luckyone

Full gear shift 1 month 3 weeks ago #137966

Your motor has two levers on the side of the belly pan. One for throttle, one for shift. Dock busters lack the shift lever...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

1959 Wizard Bolero
( / Boats)

1959 Wizard Bolero
12-12-2018

1959 arena craft manta