Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Full gear shift

Full gear shift 5 days 10 hours ago #137876

I have a 1963 six cyl 80 hp black and white. Was told they were called dock busters . This was sent to Wisconsin and now has a full year shift or what he said was a neutral. Has anyone heard about this. Going on a beeline sapphire so want to make sure before I do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Full gear shift 5 days 9 hours ago #137877

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
The last of the Direct Reversing (Dockbusters) motors were built in '61. The last year of the 80hp Six in any flavor was '61.

So maybe someone has been playing Mix and Match with faceplates etc. But you certainly cannot have a '63 800 Dockbuster, because they simply weren't made.

A few pictures might clear it up. Take one of the front of the engine, showing the faceplate, and one of the side. This should be enough to figure out what you have. The transom clamp's bracket should have a serial number on it and this will tell a lot as well.

BTW there's no simple way to turn a Dockbuster into a FGS model. You'd have to have the entire FGS motor minus powerhead and swap-over the Direct Reversing powerhead. And likely that's not simple either, as I have had the experience in the past that the crankshaft ends differ in that the Direct Reversing 800 crank is broached differently than the FGS crank. I had to cut off and re-spline a FGS lower unit in order to fit a Direct Reversing powerhead on top.

HTH...............ed

Full gear shift 5 days 9 hours ago #137878

The 800 in 61 was made in both dock buster and full shift. the dock buster had a tower that is rounded under the lower cowl. the full shift had a squarer tower with a removable cover under the lower cowl.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

WTB Tomahawk Boat Parts
( / Wanted)

noimage
10-13-2018

Crosby Emblem(s)