Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod

1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86625

• agleason
  • agleason's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone! I thought I would start a new thread to post the endless work that I'm doing to my 64 Johnson Deluxe. I purchased the old girl a little more than a year ago from someone on this site who buys, sells, and restores old boats. The seller had only had the boat a short time and told me all he knew about the Deluxe. In my opinion the transaction went fine and the seller offered to help me in anyway possible.

Brother, was she in bad shape, like a 48 year old Tijuana prostiute. Used, abused, neglected, you name it! It was a typical 48 year old boat that had not been operated in many years and had spent a lot of time out in the weather.

The old girl had 2 things going for her: I wanted a Deluxe and she was a short drive away. Honestly, if she had been farther away I would have passed since the extra expense of a long drive would have made it not feasible..

Regardless, I knew what I was looking at was going to be a mountain of work... but I love work... and I love having a project. This thing is 250 projects wrapped into one fiberglass hull.

So, all that being said, I will start posting photos of the work I've done so far, plus the new work as I catch up.
This is the day I picked the old girl up...

This when I got her into her new home... my little garage. First time in who knows how long this fiberglassic was out of the weather.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86629

Cool she should be a good project!

Bob

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86630

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Bob!
I have about 400 pictures I want to post showing what I've done. I'm planning on posting a few each week showing progress that I've already made.:)
As of now I have the deck replaced and I'm doing a ton of body work.

Just remember, this is my first time working with on a fiberglassic and I can tell you I've made plenty of mistakes along the way.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86633

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
haha "like a 48 year old Tijuana prostitute" That's a good one, you could name her tijuana mommasaun.
Good luck on her.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86634

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Shake wrote:

haha "like a 48 year old Tijuana prostitute" That's a good one, you could name her tijuana mommasaun.
Good luck on her.

Now that's a great idea!!

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86643

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Great to see another "enthusiast" in the SE Andrew, welcome and thanks for sharing your project with us!

Mark

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86646

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Great to see another "enthusiast" in the SE Andrew, welcome and thanks for sharing your project with us!

My pleasure Mark! Keep checking in, more photos coming soon!
Love your Glasstron, that thing gets across the lake in a hurry.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86647

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
First things first... this boat had to get off that trailer immediately. The rollers were busted and brackets were rubbing holes into the hull. So I threw together a $100 dolly for the old girl to live on for a couple of years.
Attachments:

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86657

• Kern
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Andrew,

I looked at the pictures you posted of your boat. That is a very interesting and unique design. I think you have a winner for a resto-mod!! If I may offer an opinion, I believe it would have better proportions and look better if the windshield were shorter. However, if you are plannng to retain that in a stock configuration, that is your choice and I also applaud that choice.

In looking at the picture of the front of your boat, I can visualize a bow pivot that would have a structure that would be like a bridge to each of the outer bow areas. That would provide support and stability in all positions except inverted.

You could make some additional structure that would wrap over the front and cover a portion of the front deck. This could be stabilized and held in place with bolts through the holes for the center cleat on the foredeck. This structure would support the hull when it was inverted.

By forming a wrap over structure you would also take a lot of stress off the stud through the bow eye hole if you use that. If you do use the bow eye hole, check the interior in that area to be certain it is quite strong and add internal structure (temporary) to spread the loads over as much area as possible.

It looks to me like it would be very doable to make a bow pivot assembly for your hull. As you noted, it will have to be stronger than mine to accomodate the weight of your hull along with your weight when inside working on it.

Good luck!!

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86658

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hey Kern, thanks for the reply and input. I'm giving it a lot of thought and I have another month before I will seriously look at getting her upside down. If nothing else I will use an extra chain fall to roll her over as I suspend the hull, then set her right back down. Like I said, i have some time to brain storm and I appreciate anything you can dream up as an idea. Thanks so much for your help and advice.

PS. everything will be removed before anything happens, like that big flip up windshield!

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86659

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Time to undress this old girl, uncover her many secrets, and see how many wrinkles and gray hair she really has.
The old 225 Buick V-6

Removing what little interior came with the Deluxe.
Next up.. the engine needs to come out. The entire deck is completely rotten and waterlogged.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86660

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
andy, it looks like, if you are careful, you might get way with just buffing the gelcoat to a high mirror finish instead of re gelcoating. sure she may have area's that need the gelcoat repaired. That gelcoat looks o be in pretty good shape from the pictures!

Great job on the cradle.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86661

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Shake wrote:

andy, it looks like, if you are careful, you might get way with just buffing the gelcoat to a high mirror finish instead of re gelcoating. sure she may have area's that need the gelcoat repaired. That gelcoat looks o be in pretty good shape from the pictures!

Great job on the cradle.

I am soooo glad you said that. The very first thing I learned about these old boats is that ANYTHING can look good in pictures. I learned this the hard way when I drove 500 miles one way to purchase a Craigslist deluxe in Florida. The owner sent me several pictures of a super shiny deluxe. When I get there it had 10,000 spider cracks and the dullest gel-coat known to man. I turned around and drove back home with my money in my pocket.
What the owner was doing was spraying the boat with water then snapping a few pictures.:ohmy:

That being said, the gel-coat on this deluxe is in bad shape also, especially below deck where the wet foam lived. No possibility of buffing this old girl. Be like putting make up on the 48 year old Tijuana prostitute to make her look good... not happening my friends.
Attachments:

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86670

Ahhhhh………..memories. Good luck with your Deluxe project………..it will be a fun and rewarding headache haha.
www.fiberglassics.com/components/com_kunena/template/200907_the_lips/images/english/emoticons/cheerful.png

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86694

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
deluxe wrote:

Ahhhhh………..memories. Good luck with your Deluxe project………..it will be a fun and rewarding headache haha.

Hey Deluxe, I've seen a few pictures of your sweet boat on other sites. I would love to see more photos of your Deluxe and the work you did to it. That thing is PERFECT!

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86695

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The next task was getting the engine and lower engine cover removed. Of course, none of the stainless bolts holding the lower engine cover would come out. The blind nuts turned because the deck that they were in had rotted years ago. So I cut away enough deck to get a saw-zall with a carbide blade under the fiberglass skin and cut the nuts off without damaging the lower cover.

That turned a 1 hour job into an all day ordeal.
Attachments:

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86739

Hi Andrew,
Get yourself one of the milti master Oscillating tools. It will be your new best friend, esspecially for cutting into glass.
I have the Harbor Freight version for 39.99 plus a few of the 8.99 blades. You can't go wrong with that bad boy !!!

Thank You for all the pictures and updates. Looks like it's going to be a fun and messy project !

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86752

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Chuck in Cincinnati wrote:

Hi Andrew,
Get yourself one of the milti master Oscillating tools. It will be your new best friend, esspecially for cutting into glass.
I have the Harbor Freight version for 39.99 plus a few of the 8.99 blades. You can't go wrong with that bad boy !!!

Thank You for all the pictures and updates. Looks like it's going to be a fun and messy project !

Got me one those rascals! and a carbide edged blade so it won't wear out no time soon.
Attachments:

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86753

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86754

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Rosie the Riveter dropped by to check my progress.
Attachments:

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86762

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
nice, good to see the little lady is supportive of your hobby.

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86771

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Shake wrote:

nice, good to see the little lady is supportive of your hobby.

That's my lady, and she is enjoying watching the progress (not too happy with the expense).

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86782

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Time to pull that old 225 Odd Fire Buick out of the Deluxe. You can't replace a deck with that thing in the way.

Then Murphy's law showed up. I unbolted everything and it would not turn loose from the stern drive! I pulled and yanked to no avail. I had to remove the flywheel bolts because the input coupler was rusted to input shaft spline.

Let me tell you, those bolts were almost impossible to get to. I had to lock the wrench and turn the engine to break them loose.

But I got it out!

Look at the picture above, what dumb thing did I do?
Attachments:

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86784

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Had to look for a minute, but the chain for the hoist is between the engine stand and the block right? (Going to have to un-bolt one of the lugs CORRECTION - two of the lugs to get it out!) Hey Andrew, when Murphy is in the house stuff like that happens. :)

Mark

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86785

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Had to look for a minute, but the chain for the hoist is between the engine stand and the block right? (Going to have to un-bolt one of the lugs to get it out!) Hey Andrew, when Murphy is in the house stuff like that happens. :)

You got it right!! I trapped the chain hoist chain in the stand. had to unbolt it to get it out. It was time to quit then.:s

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86796

• agleason
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I'm going to be taking a break during thanksgiving, so no posts until maybe this Sunday. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!!

Re:1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod 10 years 4 months ago #86799

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
man this boat is too cool. I love the cockpit dash...sweet!
Great pix of the lady too!

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state