• Page:

TOPIC: 1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 8 months 3 weeks ago #137791

• Cyco_736
  • Cyco_736's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Now that I've trolled the website enough, I can see this is this place to post my rest project. Please feel free to comment or give advise!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 8 months 3 weeks ago #137792

• Cyco_736
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
after pressure washing

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 8 months 3 weeks ago #137793

• Cyco_736
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Built a cradle

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 5 months 1 week ago #138653

Hello from lower Alabama! Tom here. I have just resumed work on my 1960 Tomahawk Skimate. No interior but I think I have all of the trim pieces and a cool looking Johnson Super Seahorse 35HP motor. I'm currently repainting the motor and waiting for the weather to warm up just a bit to finish it off...

I saw the "Tomahawk" metal Logo you show in one of your pictures. I'd love to have a set of those for my finished project! As of now, I'm just planning to use a vinyl sticker.

Hows your restoration going? How do you plan to finish the bottom? Mine is sanded but I have hundreds of pinholes which need to be filled in the fiberglass.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 1 month 3 weeks ago #139416

• Cyco_736
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Update on resto.... Built wood seat back to use as mold for new pilots seat, I had a passenger seat to go by. Still need to work on the rear seat backs. I plan to do individual backs, i'm not a fan of the original, id liked to make getting to the back of the boat easier.

Cut and removed old transom and installed new transom, fiberglassed and glued in place, I used 2 sheets of 3/4 marine grade ply for this. I will be running a modern 50HP short shaft outboard. Old transom was rotted.

Cut and fab'd custom ribs for 1/4 marine ply to attach to, this will be my floors.

Fixed hole in keel, I bought some woven roven and pulled the strands out, then laid them where the bad spot was. Looks like previous owner liked to just motor onto the beach.

Currently boat is flipped over awaiting final prep sand and any other minor holes to be filled, then prime! The hull will be white!

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 1 month 3 weeks ago #139434

Looks like you are making good progress, congrats! You did ask for comments or advise, so i'm curious if you are finished with the transom? The reason I ask is, it looks from the pictures that there is original glass at the transom hull juncture. I would suggest reinforcing it with several more layers of fiberglass, as that is where a lot of the strength comes from. Here's a few pics of what i did, overkill no doubt, but nothing ever broke because it was too strong.
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 1 month 2 weeks ago #139456

• Cyco_736
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for that insight barnickelbill. Id like to think I am done with the transom, I did not overlap the cloth and mat as far as you did in your photos but I do feel very confident in the integrity of the transom. I will be adding a aluminum plate (front and back) to cover the trans where the motor will be mounted, I hope this will help prevent wear and flex to the transom while adding support for the motor. This spirit is not being resto'd to be a trailer queen, I hope to have it in the water as much as possible.

Might you or anybody reading this have any leads on a windshield for the make and model?

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 3 weeks 6 days ago #139698

• Cyco_736
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Adding some pictures of a freshly painted hull. Ford white... I will flip it back over and begin on the topside this week.

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 3 weeks 6 days ago #139700

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I really really like what you did! The seats are terrific. Better than the ones I made up. With that transom beefed up like that you can hang a killer motor. I had an older 135hp Evinrude with an aggressive prop on my first Tomahawk. Could pass up some of those bass boats and watch them drop their jaws :evil:
Just couldn't stand in the back with a full tank of gas without fear of swamping. Nice build up for the 20".
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk Spirit resto 3 weeks 6 days ago #139707

She came out awesome, great job!!!!!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FiberGoogle