• Page:

TOPIC: identification

identification 13 years 11 months ago #9605

• vtt516
  • vtt516's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was recently given an MFG boat and trailer. The trailer is a 1971 SNOWCO. The outboard motor is a 1972 mercury 40 horsepower 402. The boat however I'm not sure of. The only number I've been able to locate is on the BIA stamp. Any information is greatly appreciated..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9609

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard, vtt. How long is your boat? Have you visited the MFG section of the library yet? www.fiberglassics.com/library/MFG

Mark

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9613

• vtt516
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks mark. The boat is about 13-14 feet long. I'm guessing with the research I've done so far that it is a 1971 CAREFREE. I know that after 1972 a HIN was required on all boats, which this one does not have. It is in a desperate need of a restoration. I've found one hole in the keel about 2-3 inches long and about an inch or two wide. And as can be seen in the photos, a good weeding. Not to mention hooking up the controls, seeing if the motor even runs, and various other work. I've contacted MFG and am waiting for a rep to get back me. All and all I can't wait to get into this project!

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9616

vtt, check this out .......

richardmorrisonmfg.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=6

that is the blog of Richard Morrison !! he has goten back to me a couple times. but Mfg plant in ashtabula ohio told me they no longer have any of the records for the boats.
if you check the blog archives down toward the bottom click on 2010 that boat is mine :blush:

you mite also want to see if you could get in touch with the historical sociate in union city Pa. thats where their main plant was.

woosterken

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9619

• vtt516
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the link woo.. Beautiful boat indeed! I will definitely try to check out the historical lead. The only number I have on the stamp is 1933. I'm hoping to get a bill of sale at some point. It was last registered back in '04 in vermont. I was also given a 1986 st. Maurice boat with a 1980 sport 75 evinrude 75 horsepower outboard. No trailer or seats (another project boat perhaps). That boat however may be used to "finance" the restoration of the MFG..

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9621

vtt,
thank you!
i dont know if its the same there,but here in ohio, you can get a form from the DNR/dept. of watercraft.
they will then do a title search from the VT# on the bow, it will tell you every one who has registered the boat from its day 1.

i did and found out that i am the 4th owner of mine, it was sold right here in wooster in '74 and the other three owners lived with in about 25 or 30 miles of here.

woosterken

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9624

• vtt516
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you again for that information. That was actually going to be one of my next steps. I also need to set up a safe boater certification class seeing as nh laws require it for anyone 16 or older to operate any vessel using over 25 horsepower engines. So might as well make one phone instead of numerous, huh?

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9625

yes defineatlly take the class, check out boatus.com you can even do it on line !!
go to the library and get the chapmans piloting and seamen ship book
its a BIG book but its the bible of boaters! lol
you can also check if there is a coast gauard aux. or power squardon in your area.
before you go to deep in your pocket book i would make sure the motor runs.

woosterken

Re:identification 13 years 11 months ago #9630

• vtt516
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I've already checked around for prices and schedule of classes. Here in nh, its only around $40 for a classroom setting done through the department of motor vehicles. Even if I were to take the course now, not really knowing about the motor, as long as I pass the course I won't need to take it again. The motor does turn over so its not froze up and I'm told that it did run when it was parked away. I will need to replace fuel lines and other things I'm sure. As anxious as I am to start this "restoration", I'm going to just take one thing at a time. I'll do the easier things first and get to the bigger tasks at a later time. I certainly do appreciate the advice and feedback.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)